Force Conform - doesn't stick across cuts

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tomknight

Force Conform - doesn't stick across cuts

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Hey all,

I'm dealing with a complex conform in Resolve from a production which had one initial big shoot, then about half a dozen different pickup shoots throughout the year, across different cameras.

The initial bulk of the project was shot on an FS700, using a RAW recorder for about 50% when needed then the other half is internal AVCHD. The bulk of the pickups were on different DSLRs (7D, GH4, and one other) meaning a mix of H.264 .movs and AVCHD.

The edit has been done in FCPX.

Most of the timeline translated to Resolve smoothly, and was easily relinkable back to the RAW DNG footage. However across these pickups and even in a few areas on the original shoot, the metadata in the recorder was not put in properly so some reel names and TC are incorrect (not to mention that of course the DSLR footage has no TC and even some file names overlap), meaning that in large chunks it conforms a scene to a whole different set of footage. A big headache!

I've figured out that given the data that's in the footage, the only solution seems to be manually bringing some of these clips into the media pool and doing a force conform - clip by clip. Firstly, does anyone know a better solution?

When I'm doing that force conform, it doesn't always line up correctly. However if I right click and do an "open in timeline" then force conform within that timeline, it is correct because as long as I'm conforming the right clip it has nowhere to go but the correct place. BUT, when I do this it will take the clip I opened in the timeline online, but not the next instance of the clip in the timeline.

So when you have 1A-1 cut to 1B-1 then back to 1A-1, both instances of 1A-1 have to be force conformed. Is there a way that I can get it to at least conform every instance of the clip in my timeline?

Thank you!

Return to DaVinci Resolve