Colour space and Easy DCP plugin

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Devlin

Colour space and Easy DCP plugin

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi there,

I would love if someone can clarify some things about the Easy DCP plugin for Resolve.

If my source is REC 709, then I understand that I don't need to apply any LUT when I make a DCP file with the plugin. The plugin will to the transform for me. How is it that the plugin is aware of the source colour space? How does it know if a transform needs to be applied?

What if I need to export a tiff sequence in XYZ space. Do I need to apply a LUT to my source footage in this case?

What if I then take that XYZ tiffs and put it back into Resolve to make a DCP from them? How does the plugin know not to apply the transform a second time?

TLDR
basically I neeed to make a DCP and a DCDM tiff sequence from the same REC709 source.

Jim Devlin

Re: Colour space and Easy DCP plugin

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 10:32 am

So after much experimenting I can answer my own questions.

In the settings there is the option to set the color space of the timeline. So when making a DCP from the REC709 you have the timeline set to REC709. When making it from the XYZ TIFFs you set it to XYZ.

I was able to make an export of TIFFS from the REC 709 timeline. I then re-imported the TIFFS into another timeline. Change the timeline color space to XYZ and made a DCP. This DCP matched exactly the DCP I made directly from the REC709 footage.

There are some caveats that I found. When making the TIFFS I had to select the codec called TIFF 16 BIT RGB, not the one labeled TIFF 16 BIT XYZ. I'm not sure why there are two codecs but the RGB one gave the correct result.

Also when switching between the timeline color spaces be careful that the image cache will keep the old images and you will not see the actual result of the change until you go to an uncached frame. This is a big annoyance that caused me many hours of confusion when trying to figure this thing out.

best of luck

Return to DaVinci Resolve