Ghost Grades

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nicholas Kleczewski

Ghost Grades

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm grading multiple sequences (imported from FCPX XML) that use various takes from inside of long single clips, and using remote grades. I'm saying that ahead of time because I'm sure somewhere in there is where my problem is.

Every once in a while ill get to a shot in a sequence that has some random ghost grade on it. Ill base mem, delete all nodes, create new versions, switch from remote to local, etc, and nothing seems to work. Also strange, if i match frame the shot in the edit page back to the clip in the media pool, even that media pool clip has the ghost grade on it and is not the raw/log shot.

Also when match framing I see that Resolve made essentially a "new" clip that appears in the Master Bin and its been labeled as a compound clip. If i dive back to the created bin of the original clip i can lay that in and then i do get access to the nodes causing the bum grade.

Im assuming I'm doing something wrong with having remote grades and footage in separate bins vs master so Resolve is creating these clips for some reason. Anyway, guidance would be much appreciated!

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Ghost Grades

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 1:35 am

i think is something to do with a old remote grade nested in a compound clip.

i do only local grades, sorry i cannot help you more
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Nicholas Kleczewski

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 3:45 pm

No problem, thanks for the response.

yeah nothing is nested in a Compound Clip unfortunately, a lesson I've carried over since FCPX handled them so poorly in the beginning. I don't really know whats going on. Tons of clips seem to be getting arbitrarily added to the Master Bin as these compound clips that they are not. (and of course "import media automatically" unchecked with bringing in XML)

So regardless, something in the workflow of Remote Grades, used in a conformed imported edit, with multiple timelines in a project seems broken.

This is a project for content of a premium auto maker. I have another project for them a month from now, I will repeat everything but use local grades only and see if the phenomenon persists.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 6:17 pm

yes, i tend to use local grades only. ..
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve