Avid UHD workflow with different frame rates

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Coote

Avid UHD workflow with different frame rates

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi
I am working on a show at 2160p 29.97 in Avid and doing my CC in Resolve.
I bring all of the camera originals into resolve, import the AAF from Avid and everything is there - no problem.
Most of the footage is 29.97p but there are a few "slomo" shots at 59.94. These shots have a motion effect in avid to play at half speed.
Whenever I try to export DNxHRX MXF media with an AAF, the 59.94 clips come back to avid out of sync and/or I get errors. My workaround has been to put the 5994 stuff on a separate track and render those clips as flattened Prores QT files - and then manually cut them back in in Avid.
It would be great if Resolve would offer an option to "bake in" the 5994 clips at 29.97
into the AAF and MXF media with the other clips. Basically to treat everything in a 29.97 timeline as 29.97.
Unless this is do-able and I don't know the trick?...

Chris

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Avid UHD workflow with different frame rates

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Adjust framerate on the clip level. This will assume/conform to chosen framerate, so your file will play either faster or slower.

Chris Coote

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Even if I play with the speed in Resolve, it still comes back to Avid through AAF as 59.94.
The motion is correct - but the clip is still not assuming the frame rate of the timeline - and that seems to cause corruption when back in avid. It seems the only way to get these clips to render as 29.97 is to render them as a single clip, as opposed to individual source clips. I was just hoping for an option to render these clips within an AAF at the frame rate of the timeline.

JoeProcopio

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 6:05 pm

what if you adjust the playback speed in AVID before you create the AAF? (under right click/Source settings)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Chris Coote wrote:Even if I play with the speed in Resolve, it still comes back to Avid through AAF as 59.94.
The motion is correct - but the clip is still not assuming the frame rate of the timeline - and that seems to cause corruption when back in avid. It seems the only way to get these clips to render as 29.97 is to render them as a single clip, as opposed to individual source clips. I was just hoping for an option to render these clips within an AAF at the frame rate of the timeline.

If it's through AAF than it may not be possible.

Return to DaVinci Resolve