R12 & overrinding orginal sound : not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PierreEmmanuel

R12 & overrinding orginal sound : not working

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 am

Hi,

If you drop a video on a timeline, override the sound from the video using another source, it plays correctly in all the views (video + new sound). If you export using "multiple files" + "original source name", and let the sound to the default settings (2 channels (which is fine in my case)) then the exported video contains the original sound and not the new one.

Have not found a workaround..

Willian Aleman

Re: R12 & overrinding orginal sound : not working

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 10:23 am

PierreEmmanuel wrote:Hi,

If you drop a video on a timeline, override the sound from the video using another source, it plays correctly in all the views (video + new sound). If you export using "multiple files" + "original source name", and let the sound to the default settings (2 channels (which is fine in my case)) then the exported video contains the original sound and not the new one.

Have not found a workaround..

Did you unable the unwanted tracks by itself or the sound waveform in all clip by selecting "Clip or Track Unable."

Also, please make sure to have the right configuration accordingly with the number of tracks and channels selected in the Clip Attributes, then match this the configuration in the Timeline.
Hope this helps.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Peter Cave

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 10:51 am

It is designed to work that way to do round-trip grading from Avid, FCP or Premiere.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PierreEmmanuel

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 10:57 am

Peter Cave wrote:It is designed to work that way to do round-trip grading from Avid, FCP or Premiere.

Ok,

But then, how do you render the videos with the modified sound ?

Thks

Phil Andrews

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 12:19 am

I'll piggy back on your question since it's relevant to what I was hoping to find an answer to, but I can provide you with a bit of a workaround.

I put everything plainly onto a single timeline in Resolve. Just dump everything in back-to-back and remove the original clip audio and replace with my external audio. Then I'll grade everything here.

Next I'll make a 2nd timeline and just drop my 1st timeline into it as a clip. This is the timeline where I do my rough cut. I render individual source clips from this 2nd timeline and it maintains the new audio. From there I import everything into Hitfilm and edit my final video.

The downside here is that I can't see the flipping waveform in the 2nd timeline, which makes selecting my clips a bit annoying. I'd love to know of a way to see the waveform when I'm working in a timeline with a timeline on it.

Phil Andrews

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 12:26 am

Also, plan B the first time I realized this didn't work like that was to use ffmpeg to create new versions of my original raw footage but replacing the audio track with the new audio, which was a bit annoying.

Return to DaVinci Resolve