Resolve 12: Projects lost after re-install

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lucian Barnard

Resolve 12: Projects lost after re-install

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 12:58 pm

Please help.

My GPU was running full and I read somewhere that installing the Appstore version and not the BM website installer would be kinder on my GPU. So I uninstalled the previous and reinstalled the new and now all my projects are gone/inaccessible.

Please tell me, where do I find the projects (as any other NLE program LEAVES your projects untouched even after uninstall) and how can I manually copy and back up my projects.
(I come from FCP, Avid & Premier background)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Lucian

System:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
3,2 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

Peter Cave

Re: Resolve 12: Projects lost after re-install

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 7:10 am

I think the Appstore version puts the disk database in a different location. I would use the BM website version. You can backup the whole database with your older version and then import it to the new install if you really need to.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Lucian Barnard

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for your reply :)

Does that mean if I haven't copied it before I re-installed the appstore version, my previous projects are lost??

I also could not locate my actual projects in Finder with the Website version either.

Thanks
L

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 4:59 am

The default location for the BMD web site version of the Resolve database is here:

/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Davinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database

If you open the Resolve Database Manager window, you can select Connect, then select this path in the Host area, and use a Label that does not currently exist in the database list. Then you should hopefully see your projects.

Note however, that the App Store version cannot write to this location, so all you can do is Connect to the original database, then Select the App Store database, then in the Project Manager window, select Group Projects mode, select the original database in the drop down list, then your user, then select a project, right click it, and select Import. You will need to repeat for each project you need.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Lucian Barnard

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Dwaine, Thank you so so much for clarifying this alien system. I have found them and managed to connect thanks to you.

Dunno why it has to be so different and complicated.

Thanks a mil!

Return to DaVinci Resolve