AAF back to AVID, multiple codecs in timeline, having issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JoeProcopio

AAF back to AVID, multiple codecs in timeline, having issues

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 2:42 pm

I have a colored sequence that was imported to DaVinci as an AAF. I'm using the raw ARRI camera files, and mxf files from AVID that were originally GoPro transcoded to XDCam50 and other mxf media that is DNx145.

when I use round trip to AVID on export, set my handles and use DNx220 (footage is 29.97p) and export a new AAF from the edit page, the sequence comes in correctly, but the media does one of a couple things, shows up relinked but does not play or relinks the ARRI footage, not the GoPro or DNx145 original media.

I have my sequence in DaVinci separated out with ARRI on one track, GoPro on one track and DNx145 on another...I have tried going one track at a time, but am getting inconsistent results, for example, the GoPro rendered out at XDCam MPEG doesn't play in AVID, so I tried DNxHR HQ and it played and plinked..great...tried other footage as DNXHR, doesn't play...so can't export whole thing at DNxHR HQ. the ARRI footage alone plays back great when rendered at DNx220, but nothing else does...

Long story short....what is the correct path back to AVID with mixed media in the timeline? Is there an easy route, or do I make 3 separate timelines to completely separate the media types, then export them with different setings? hopefully ones that work with the original media correctly?

Michael Phillips

Re: AAF back to AVID, multiple codecs in timeline, having is

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Don't create a new AAF. Select the the top entry of AAF/XML/EDL and save it out from there. See of that works any better.

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Return to DaVinci Resolve