VST plugins for audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

François Giroux

VST plugins for audio

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 3:45 pm

well if I am ever going to switch to resolve for editing it has to be powerful with audio as well.

I routinely use eq and compression on my audio, how can it be done in resolve?

....if you ever get to support vst plugins, it could be done easily. Is that in the plans?

Stefan Gofferje

Re: VST plugins for audio

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Resolve does support VST plugins, however IMHO the UI is a bit clumsy. But it works - most of the time.
Documentary and wildlife guy, mostly Linux user
DR12.5, Win10, Core I7-4770K@3.5GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX 1070
Canon 6D, Canon 7D

François Giroux

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Stefan Gofferje wrote:Resolve does support VST plugins, however IMHO the UI is a bit clumsy. But it works - most of the time.

great! I did not know that. I guess it is only in V12 then. I'll have to upgrade!

Chris Duncan

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 4:34 pm

It's worth noting that VST support is only available in the Studio version. Not sure which version you have.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Fusion version 8.1.1 Build 3
Resolve 17.4.2
HyperDeck Shuttle 2, Utility version 4.4

Chris Duncan

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Of course, everyone's preferences are different, but I come from a pro audio background and am a relative amateur in video, having only been involved with it for a few years.

Because of this, I have Cubase and a fairly well armed recording studio, and do all my serious mixing there. It's probably the same in all DAWs, but I can just drag a Quicktime file in for reference.

If you're heavily into audio quality, it might be worth taking an approach where you use the best tool for the job. There are a number of low cost options for DAWs. For instance, in the Cubase world, buying any of the Steinberg audio interface hardware, even the $150 UR22, gives you a free version of Cubaes LE, which does almost everything the paid version does (including VST support).

Anyway, just a thought from the pro audio side of the street. :)
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Resolve 17.4.2

John Paines

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Chris Duncan wrote:It's worth noting that VST support is only available in the Studio version. Not sure which version you have.

Not so. VST support hasn't proved all that reliable, but the free version has it.

Chris Duncan

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Well, I'm happy to be wrong about that, thanks. I equated plugin support to include VST, but of course they're two different types of plugins. That's what I get for assuming.

I'll probably still keep mixing in Cubase, but I have some nice SSL & other plugins that I may give a try in this environment.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Will Tejeda

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 1:52 am

Has anyone found a list or kit of useful free/open source VST plugins ?

I have a few but it's been hit or miss with compatibility.

Proper vst's like the WAVES bundles work fine , but I can't afford to buy into them at the moment

I'm also working on a course for resolve 12 and would like some better recommendations than what I currently have now
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Chris Duncan

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 3:39 am

KVR Audio is a very popular site for this sort of thing, with a lot of knowledgeable users and lists of plugins both free and paid. You might find some worthwhile things there.

http://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/newest
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Survivor_Films

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Chris Duncan wrote:I equated plugin support to include VST, but of course they're two different types of plugins. That's what I get for assuming.

Resolve Lite works with both VST and OFX plugins.

Will Tejeda wrote:Has anyone found a list or kit of useful free/open source VST plugins ?

Try http://www.bedroomproducersblog.com - it's the best resource I've found for free VSTs.

François Giroux

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Chris Duncan wrote:If you're heavily into audio quality, it might be worth taking an approach where you use the best tool for the job.

hi Chris! yeah I also come from an audio background, I am very well equipped but don't produce music seriously anymore. ...but I can do everything I need in premiere audio wise that is needed in a video editing project. Of course sound design and music composition needs other software. But my philosophy is that when editing video I want all what I need in my editing app. I eq and compress voices mainly, and mix music with live sound etc... when I will feel comfortable doing that in resolve I am going to switch editng apps (hopefully). I have the full version because I have a great BM camera :)

my favorite 64 bits FREE vst for use in an editing app:
http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor/

still looking for an nice eq :) but premiere has one

Chris Duncan

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 1:45 am

You're probably right about working all in the same app. I think reaching for a DAW is just a knee jerk reflex anytime I think of audio. Since you're a fellow pro audio guy, I'll be interested to hear how the Resolve works for you once you get it all set up the way you want.

And thanks for the links!
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Survivor_Films

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 5:49 pm

François Giroux wrote:my favorite 64 bits FREE vst for use in an editing app:

Feedback Compressor has been superseded by TDR's Kotelnikov - and if you're a fan of Tokyo Dawn you should check out their SlickEQ and Nova equalizers.

François Giroux

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Survivor_Films wrote:
François Giroux wrote:my favorite 64 bits FREE vst for use in an editing app:

Feedback Compressor has been superseded by TDR's Kotelnikov - and if you're a fan of Tokyo Dawn you should check out their SlickEQ and Nova equalizers.

thanks! I don't know if I am a fan but I tried the Tokyo Dawn compressor and I liked it. I am going to try their eq and updates. what are the vst you like to use in your editing app? I quit following new vst releases for a long time, and now I have to upgrade to 64bits versions anyway on my video computer...

Survivor_Films

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi François,

these are my favourite freebies I've found to date:

BitterSweet3 (Flux::) Transient Shaper
BeatZille (u-he) Synth
Bx Cleansweep (Brainworx) HP/LPF
Bx Solo (Brainworx) Stereo Widener
Alchemy Player (Camel Audio) Sampler/Rompler
CamelCrusher (Camel Audio) Distortion/Amp Sim
Multiply (Acon Digital) Chorus
Saturation Knob (Softube) uh, it's a saturation knob :D
Span (Voxengo) Spectrum Analyzer
NoiseMaker (Togu Audio Line) Synth
Kotelnikov (Tokyo Dawn Records) Mastering Compressor
Nova (Tokyo Dawn Records) Dynamic Equalizer
SlickEQ (Tokyo Dawn Records) very slick, much EQ
MJUC jr. (Klanghelm) Variable-mu Compressor

On the paid front, I use Melodyne, some ToneBoosters stuff (great value), a bunch of SoundToys 'little' plugins, Valhalla DSP's Vintage Verb, TAL's Sampler, Kazrog's KClip, the full version of MJUC (stunning!) a few plugins by Klevgränd and SPL's De-Verb (great for knocking back the reverb on dialogue).

Richard Swearinger

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 12:29 am

This is amazing info, but I'm still on the steep end of the learning curve. What would you guys recommend for someone like me who shoots news and non-profits and just needs to be able to take my field audio and produce a nice clean dialog track with levels compressed and normalized?

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi

Here again to bump this thread with another probably dumb question...

I've installed a VST EQ plugin called TDR Nova into Resolve. It's apparently working fine; Resolve loads it, let me apply the filter to a clip, I have the parameters in the inspector window and I can call the plugin GUI to tweak it graphically. Everything ok but... It just does not affect the sound.

The other only VST plugin I have installed is working fine, so ther must be something wrong with the TDR Nova plugin. I've checked I've installed a 64bit version of the .dll.

Anyone has a clue?

John Paines

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:07 pm

TDR Nova is buggy in Resolve -- or Resolve is buggy, with this plugin -- but it does work. You may need to make extreme changes, to notice the effect, and depending on the material.

The good news is, R14/Fairlight comes with a great built-in equalizer (and compressor/limiter) for every track, so third-party fx for these tools won't be necessary (soon).

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Found it!

It was only a bad setting within the plugin. Just needed to switch it to "Stereo" instead of the default "Right" channel.

I'm working with stereo source, don't really know why it had no effect when assigned to right channel, but it started working when I cahnged that setting to "stereo".

Thanks, John.

Bjarne Blume

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 3:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I am a new vistor to the DaVinici Resolve forum. I have a licensed for WAVES 9.0 64 bit plugins. I am exploring Davinci Resolve and editing my current project in DR 12.5.6. I have VST audio plugins that seem to work with DR, but can't seem to get WAVES plugins to work. More annoying is that every time I trying to discover the directories that contain these VST plugins the DR interface adds new instances of my failures within the "Available Plugins" dialog box as can be seen by the attached screen shot.

#1 Does anyone know if WAVES 9 is compatible and if so how does it need to be installed in order for DR to recognize and not say that it is "Not Working".

#2. Why are there redundant entries shown in the audio plugins dialog (see the enclosed dialog), and how does one go about clearing these entries. I found that even after uninstalling the WAVES 9 plugins from the operating system, that this list does not clear. I clearly think that this is a bug unless someone can tells me otherwise.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me with these issues.

Bjarne
Attachments
Davincia Available Plugins List - for Audio.png
Davincia Available Plugins List - for Audio.png (25.27 KiB) Viewed 9498 times

Eugene Chebotarev

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 4:46 am

After annoying trial and error I was finally able to get Waves plugs to work. It's not an elegant solution but it works, though I'd prefer it wouldn't require such workaround but Waves is known for not making things easy.

See this post on Cakewalk DAW forums for instructions on how to make it work - http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/1884385

Brynblair

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 8:43 am

Been using camel crusher vst plugin
it helped me a lot
downloaded from here https://soundtips.net/

Return to DaVinci Resolve