MacPro & Resolve Lite

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Hicks

MacPro & Resolve Lite

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm

HI All.

I'm having an issue which has been touched on but not solved and with a few differences.

I have a MacPro that I'm using with CS6 P'Pro and AE and wanted to use the New Resolve Lite with for grading.

We migrated from FCP and Color before Xmas and have, overall, found the all new Premier Pro fantastic.

I've just downloaded the most recent version of Resolve Lite and basically can't get any of my media, anywhere, to work. It all comes shows as this mess of pixels. It also keeps tell me that my GPU memory is full. I have a ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of ram which as I understand is quite sufficient.

The codec of most of the media is either XDCAM 422 (50i) or AppleProRes HQ.

I have an Extreme 3D Blackmagic card and have updated all the relevant drivers etc. (BM 9.6.9 and CUDA 5.0.37)

The only thing I can think of is that my OS is still 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Can someone please advise me and hopefully tell me something obviously ridiculous that I've missed.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: MacPro & Resolve Lite

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Are you running in 32 or 64 bit mode? Resolve V8 would work in 32 bit mode, which is the default for OS X 10.6.8. But for Resolve V9, you must be running in 64 bit mode.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 1:36 am

If I understand your config correctly, you need an image processing GPU as well as the one you have for UI. The ATI card is not CUDA either so you may have just not listed all the GPUs.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 am

phix1 wrote:HI All.

I'm having an issue which has been touched on but not solved and with a few differences.

I have a MacPro that I'm using with CS6 P'Pro and AE and wanted to use the New Resolve Lite with for grading.

We migrated from FCP and Color before Xmas and have, overall, found the all new Premier Pro fantastic.

I've just downloaded the most recent version of Resolve Lite and basically can't get any of my media, anywhere, to work. It all comes shows as this mess of pixels. It also keeps tell me that my GPU memory is full. I have a ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of ram which as I understand is quite sufficient.

The codec of most of the media is either XDCAM 422 (50i) or AppleProRes HQ.

I have an Extreme 3D Blackmagic card and have updated all the relevant drivers etc. (BM 9.6.9 and CUDA 5.0.37)

The only thing I can think of is that my OS is still 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Can someone please advise me and hopefully tell me something obviously ridiculous that I've missed.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

If you only have a single ATI GPU, I would recommend upgrading to Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Paul Hicks

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. We're upgrading all our kit to 10.8 and quadra 4000 cards.

i hope that sorts it.

I'll let you know if there's any problems.

PH

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 3:15 am

Q4000 is good for GUI but not very powerful for image processing. Consider a better card, listed in the config guides.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve