Resolve 12 > Premiere Roundtrip Repeat Footage Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mikenaulls

Resolve 12 > Premiere Roundtrip Repeat Footage Issue

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with roundtripping from Resolve 12 to Premiere then back to Resolve 12.
I have only round tripped successfully once and that was with 11 so I'm guessing this is a 12 issue.

I create proxies from DNG sequences in Resolve to edit in Premiere. Select Final Cut Roundtrip from the Template menu in the Deliver section. Encoded in ProRes Proxy format. No problem encoding, I bring them into Premiere and do my edit.
In Premiere, I export a Final Cut XML in order to bring the timeline into Resolve 12.

Back into Resolve, I import the XML and deselect the option to Import Source Footage so Resolve will match up to the original DNG files instead of the proxies. A new timeline is created. Here comes the problem.

Looking at the timeline, the footage is not edited as it was in Premiere. Instead of a proper edit of (for example):

Clip 4
Clip 1
Clip 3
Clip 2

I get a timeline with repeated footage with different ins and outs like:

Clip 4 (proper in and out)
Clip 4 (different in and out than the first)
Clip 4 (another set of different in and outs)
Clip 1
(Clips 2 and 3 missing)

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Could I be doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Rob Wentz

Re: Resolve 12 > Premiere Roundtrip Repeat Footage Issue

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 8:44 pm

how are you creating the proxies? to what format/filetype etc are you creating your proxy?

It sounds like an issue translating from a DNG sequence to a proxy then back to a DNG sequence.

So just confirm... are these the specific steps you're going about to get from here to there? If not what are they?

-you're bringing in your DNG sequences into a resolve timeline, then you roundtrip export XML & Proxies from resolve.
-Next you import XML with reference to proxies in premiere, do editorial, export FCP XML from premiere.
-Then, when you import that XML from premiere your clips are whack?

Peter Cave

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Don't use the round trip option when making your proxies in Resolve. Just do an individual clip render and manually import the clips into Premiere. Make sure you have unique file names, reel names or timecode; preferably all the above.

Export XML to Resolve to grade original files, do not import clips into Resolve and the original media should link ok.

Duplicate timecodes and duplicate reel names and/or clip names is usually the culprit.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

mikenaulls

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Rob Wentz wrote:how are you creating the proxies? to what format/filetype etc are you creating your proxy?

It sounds like an issue translating from a DNG sequence to a proxy then back to a DNG sequence.

So just confirm... are these the specific steps you're going about to get from here to there? If not what are they?

-you're bringing in your DNG sequences into a resolve timeline, then you roundtrip export XML & Proxies from resolve.
-Next you import XML with reference to proxies in premiere, do editorial, export FCP XML from premiere.
-Then, when you import that XML from premiere your clips are whack?

Hi Rob.

1. I am importing the DNG sequences into my media pool.

2. Select all clips -> Right click -> Create Timeline Using Selected Clips

3. Do nothing to the timeline. Then move to the Deliver tab. Select my format (ProRess 422 Proxy) and save location. Use Source Filename. Export.

4. In Premiere, import proxies and complete my edit.

5. Export Final Cut XML from Premiere.

6. Move back to Resolve. File Menu/Right click in Media Pool -> Import XML. Choose the XML I created in Premiere.

7. Load XML dialog box: Change filename if I want to. Deselect Automatically Import source clips into media pool (to prevent the proxies from being referenced instead of the original DNGs)

8. Look at the timeline to find that is a mess.

mikenaulls

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 1:20 am

I believe I have cracked the case:

I had no reel names. Forgot to click the checkbox for Apply Reel Names based on File Name

Return to DaVinci Resolve