sony mxf or dnxhd for tl playback?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Leslie Wand

sony mxf or dnxhd for tl playback?

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 9:30 am

i usually transcode my ex1's mp4's to mxf for use in resolve, but read somewhere that dnxhd was better suited to resolve's playback.

looking for easiest playback option for i7 4770k

tia

should add working in hd only
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

JPOwens

Re: sony mxf or dnxhd for tl playback?

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 1:28 am

Leslie Wand wrote:usually transcode my ex1's mp4's to mxf for use in resolve, but read somewhere that dnxhd was better suited to resolve's playback.

What you are realizing with the transcode is creating an intra format that doesn't have as much to do with the container as it does with getting rid of the Long-GOP media structure. There may be slight differences between DNxHD and ProRes, for example, but very little difference between the MXF and MOV containers that you could create with either codec. And I don't think Media Composer, Premiere, or Resolve have that big a preference for any of those -- aside from the ultra-orthodox source path structure that AVID still seems to harbour some weakness for.

It used to be that MXF was a non-starter for a number of NLEs, and Final Cut couldn't handle it at all without Flip4Mac, which was another layer of processing.

jPo

Leslie Wand

Re: sony mxf or dnxhd for tl playback?

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 5:36 am

thanks jpo, much appreciated.

i'll therefore stick to my usual practice and transcode to mxf.

again, thanks
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Return to DaVinci Resolve