Feature Request: VP9 Support

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Oli Koos

Feature Request: VP9 Support

PostThu Feb 11, 2016 8:42 am

Hello,

I am happy to see that Resolve Studio finally supports h265 codec and I understand that because of licensing royalties it can not be in the free version. However this should not be the case with VP9 which should be similar in quality, compression and performance (and maybe better if the project is to be released on youtube) but open source and therefore free for BM to integrate in its products. That is why I am feature requesting VP9 support for Resolve.

Thanks

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Feature Request: VP9 Support

PostThu Feb 11, 2016 9:13 am

VP9 is slow, still in development and not a single camera uses it and most likeky ever will use.
Atm it's almost exclusive to youtube, so I would put it at the end of the new features list.

Oli Koos

PostThu Feb 11, 2016 9:34 am

As far as I know the specifications are long finalized. It is supported by every major browser it (even microsoft edge), OS and smarttv that makes it very relevant for streaming/mobile applications.
I think of VP9 as a online delivery- , not as a acquisition codec, that is why I think it is irrelevant if cameras (in that case, consumer products) support it (this argument could also be said about h265, which Resolve now supports).

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Well, I'd say then, export a good master from Resolve and happily encode away with any good movie converter.

Or are you seriously considering it for input?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Oli Koos wrote:As far as I know the specifications are long finalized. It is supported by every major browser it (even microsoft edge), OS and smarttv that makes it very relevant for streaming/mobile applications.
I think of VP9 as a online delivery- , not as a acquisition codec, that is why I think it is irrelevant if cameras (in that case, consumer products) support it (this argument could also be said about h265, which Resolve now supports).

Well, it can be added, but there are 100 more important and useful things.
I would rather see speed improvements for h264 (and other codecs) than just added h265 support.
I would prefer proper h264 exporter based on x264 than VP9 (and h265).
There will be time for VP9, but it's to early. Encoding speed is few x slower than x264, so when you add e.g.. 4K and Resolve own processing your encodes will be going at 1 fps.

Return to DaVinci Resolve