Entering metadata string in "Display Name" fields

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Adrian Mathie

Entering metadata string in "Display Name" fields

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 4:31 pm

I would like to use Scene and Take metadata, entered into my camera on set, to populate the "Display Name" metadata field in the Media Pool list view.

In this way I can choose to see clips as "Scene 001 - Take 01" rather than their original file names. Also, the clips shown on the timeline in the edit window will show these user friendly names.

I can easily do this for a single clip by typing "Scene %{scene} - Take %{take}" in to the Display Name field as described on P.203 of the current manual, as Resolve will pull that info from the Scene and Take metadata fields.

But, my question is, how do I get all clips to show this by default; i.e. how can I populate all imported clips with "Scene %{scene} - Take %{take}" in the Display Name field?

Thanks for any ideas.

David Franzo

Re: Entering metadata string in "Display Name" fields

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Just select all the clips you want to do this for, right-click, click Clip Attributes, then check the box to change the Display Name and use the variables you want.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Also, realize I believe you need to be on the Media Page to be able to select multiple clips and change their attributes at once.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

David Franzo

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 pm

You can do it in Media or Edit page. I think you used to not be able to do a few things in the Media Pool while on the Edit page, but in recent versions you can.

Return to DaVinci Resolve