Offline frames in export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thomas Maier

Offline frames in export

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Hi,
I'm having problems with our system rendering some red offline frames in the exported DNxHD/DNxHR MOVs.

I see this in two different large HD projects.
One documentary with mainly interlaced ProPres and one feature film with Arri ProRes files.

The red offline frames are at different TC positions each time we render out the project.
About 5 offline frames during one hour...

Sometimes I see also some offline frames during normal playback.
The footage is on a local RAID!

We recently upraded our system with a single GTX Titan X.
Maybe this is one/the reason.
During this upgrade we also updated all software and drivers to the newest version!

Before this upgrade, there were no such problems.
(Old System: Quadro FX5800 with 2x GTX 580 (netstore TurboBox))

Current system:
HP Z800
Windows 7
2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz, 4 Core(s)
Hewlett-Packard 786G5 v03.54, 02.11.2011
48GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12GB
DeckLink HD Extreme 3d+

Do the system may need at least one Quadro card?
Or can i get Resolve to try reloading a frame several times before an offline frame is rendered?

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

Dermot Shane

Re: Offline frames in export

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 5:33 pm

try to source cashe.. it's possiable for the proRez 32bit QtDecoder.exe to get flooded and drop the ball

once it's cached you are bypassing a weak link

almost every working day issue i have with Resolve is around the QtDecoder software, and i do my best to cache or optomise to an approprate format - 10 bit uncompessed works great in YRGB, 16bit in RCM/ACES

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 8:06 pm

If the disk allow you, cache uncompressed dpx 10 bits and try again
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Thomas Maier

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks, that's one workaround and already done it this way! ;)
But I'm wondering, why this never happened before...

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 8:10 pm

i dint know, you have two cpu each with 4 cores, that should be enough but it could be that before was just barely enough and never noticed.

i try to go to dpx any time i have this kind of issue, it never fails me
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Kevin Good

PostMon May 02, 2016 7:13 pm

I'm having this same problem. It will randomly render "Media Offline" red frames, which is infuriating because then I can't trust the product I'm putting out. I'm working on a feature, so it's impractical to sit down and watch every render with my eyes glued to the screen without blinking hoping that I don't miss a dropped frame, and then re-render the whole thing if I do and do the same thing over again.

I tried rendering "max" speed (and it renders in about double-time), and then 5fps render. The problem occurs either way, just in different random spots each time.

Anyone find solutions? I'd like to avoid rendering out to huge sequential files and having to QC everything by doing my best to watch it without blinking.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

I'm rendering to DNxHD.
Windows 7 Pro
i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz
64.0 GB RAM
GeForce GTX TITAN Black

Chris Blacklock

PostWed May 04, 2016 4:26 am

Not sure if this is it, but we had a similar problem that turned out to be the raid intermittently dropping offline...but extremely quickly and at random points. New raid solved it.

Thomas Maier

PostThu May 05, 2016 1:18 pm

After finishing some projects I find out it has something to do with video-files. Mainly with QuickTime ProRes files.
In two projects with mixed review clients and image sequences like DPX, Only got these off-line frames with QuickTime MOVs.
Also I noticed they appear mainly at the IN point off a clip, but not every time.
Sometimes it happens while I'm working. But when I replay the clip the frame is online.

I bet, OS X users don't have this problem!

What I don't get is, when Resolve already noticed that this frame is off-line, why Resolve doesn't take several attempts before giving up and set it to offline? Especially for rendering.

I am also a heavy Fusion user, there you can set a "Loader" to "wait for frame" if there are some performance or network issues... (I am happy to see what influence fusion had to the node editor in 12.5!)

Grüße

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

thomas bruegger

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Im having the same problem on final 12.5 release on win7. while several DNxHD exports had at least one frame offline. when i switched to Cineform it was ok. maybe only luck on this export we'll see. the source was prorez BMC4K and h.264 gh4.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Seth Goldin

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Thank you, Dermot and Walter. This was the exact fix I needed!

I was having some trouble with XAVC-I OCNs from a Sony FS7. Without caching, my ProRes 4444 renders would throw red frames in Premiere Pro and Media Encoder.

Who would have guessed that native XAVC-I is not to be trusted? I ended up caching the sources of the entire timeline to ProRes 4444, which worked great.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

MikeFromCambridgeUK

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:54 pm

I have also been seeing occasional red frames saying 'Media Offline'.
However I found they were NOT a rendering issue, but originated in a different way.
Let me explain, it may help someone.

It was not the fault of DaVinci Resolve, but the cheap Chinese 4K cameras I bought.
The cameras were from Ebay and described as '2'' Ultra HD 4K Wifi 1080P Sports Action Camera Video Camcorder DV DVR Cam CO' and 'Night View Camera(Black)'. They work okay for the price, but don't expect too much. Anyway they split the file containing video and audio into 15 minute chunks before writing to microSD card.

However the video is one frame short compared to the length of the corresponding audio track.
I've checked this for both 24 frames per second and 30fps videos and they both do the same thing.
So when I stitched them all back together (back to back) into one big file the audio was continuous but the video has missing frames.

When DaVinci sees that frames are missing it outputs 'media offline' instead.

I'm trying to find a workaround for this, something along the lines of 'if Media Offline then repeat last good frame'. Anyone know how to do that?

Return to DaVinci Resolve