BMPCC Raw workflow - Editing in Resolve 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Sin

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 am

Hi,

I am trying to edit my project completely in Resolve 12 with BMPCC Raw DNG files.

I converted all DNG to ProRes422LT for editing in Resolve 12. Now my edit is completed, how can I relink all ProRes files back to the DNG files in Resolve 12?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Tristan Pemberton

Re: BMPCC Raw workflow - Editing in Resolve 12

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 7:14 am

Yeah, this isn't working for me either (in Resolve 12.1 on OS X 10.9.5).

I've tried changing the source folder.
I've tried selecting multiple files and relinking the clips.
I've tried individually relinking the clips.
I've tried deleting the cache.
I've tried doing all the above and restarting the program.

So far only two out of roughly 100 clips have (randomly) relinked from the ProRes quicktime proxies to the DNG RAW files.

The weird thing is, when I navigate in Media Storage to find the individual source folders containing the DNG RAW file sequences, Resolve won't 'see' those folders. Even after I refresh.

Please, anyone managed to solve this problem? Or should I just download the update and try again?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 7:32 am

Did you make optimised media in Resolve as this is the clean way to create a low res proxy for editing and then switch back to the hi res for grade and finish.

Otherwise the file names are all going to be different.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 7:53 am

I created the proxies in Resolve based on the original file names. So the folder names are identical to the ProRes proxies. I did the edit in FCP7, and exported an XML.

The XML opens fine in Resolve, and the edit sequence looks fine. I just can't point each individual clip to its individual DNG folder as the folders don't appear in the Media Storage window.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Antoine Grasset

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 9:18 am

If filenames (and folder structure) is consistent, it should be pretty easy to relink.

First, import all your DNGs in Resolve, the XML will be able to pick directly in the Media Pool.

Then go to the Media Page, switch to the "list view" and toggle the "reel name" column.
Most offline-online workflow rely on this metadata : every clip should have a reel name (if it's unique it's even better).
Chances are that you're missing thoses (for your RAW, or your proxies, or both).

So... in your Project Settings, tick "Assist using reel names from" and select from "Source clip filename".
That will populate the "Reel name" metadata (check again in the Media Page).
You can now try to conform your XML (remember to untick "Automatically import Medias").

If that doesn't work out, you can try to set reel name by using the parent folder name (if your RAW/proxy file structure is identical).

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks Antoine, I really appreciate it.

That worked a treat.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Chris Blacklock

PostSun Apr 03, 2016 12:40 am

Checking that Reel column before baking out offline editorial proxies is key...It is THE most important thing to do to ensure a successful round trip. Becomes extremely painful if not checked on a 90 day shoot until after the offline edit is complete. :cry:

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Apr 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Chris Blacklock wrote:Checking that Reel column before baking out offline editorial proxies is key...It is THE most important thing to do to ensure a successful round trip. Becomes extremely painful if not checked on a 90 day shoot until after the offline edit is complete. :cry:

Oh dear, sounds like you're talking from experience here.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Chris Blacklock

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 am

Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Chris Blacklock wrote:Checking that Reel column before baking out offline editorial proxies is key...It is THE most important thing to do to ensure a successful round trip. Becomes extremely painful if not checked on a 90 day shoot until after the offline edit is complete. :cry:

Oh dear, sounds like you're talking from experience here.

Not me, but I've seen it happen to others. Test your full workflow, then Test some more!

Return to DaVinci Resolve