HLS Qualifier jitter - bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ted Karlsson

HLS Qualifier jitter - bug?

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Hey guys.

I'm having an issue when I'm grading with the latest (I think, since I haven't seen this before) version of DaVinci. As I rendered footage today I saw some black spikes/jitter in the right side of the window, perhaps 1% in to frame - when I'm using the HLS qualifier and taking down the exposure. It goes away when I take down the exposure or take down the key blur - which isn't an option obviously.

Has anyone else seen this? What is it and most important, neither me or my client likes it so how do I get rid of it?

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (708.37 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Ted Karlsson
Senior Colorist
Kromofor Color Graing Boutique: Malmö, Sweden
www.kromofor.se

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: HLS Qualifier jitter - bug?

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 5:31 pm

new to me. i will pay attention if I see it.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 11:46 pm

I wonder if this is a display card issue.

What is the source of the image files? I can see from the window you're using ProRes 444, but were they transcoded from an 8-bit source? Though usually, when I see 8-bit material start to tear and fall apart, it does so all over, not just on the right side. I would open up and soften the key settings and see if that helps, and maybe window the key to confine it to that specific area. If turning the node on and off eliminates the problem, then that's what has to be refined.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ted Karlsson

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 8:28 am

I've tried to open the project on other systems but it persist. The material is straight from Alexa.

The issue is in the HLS qualifier node, turning it off it goes away. I've tried to soften it up and to window it of, however doing this you see the "fix" to much and it gives a really bad result. I've done this kind of key before on other projects so I opened up an old project and saw the same issue there now, but it hasn't been there before.

Very annoying.
Ted Karlsson
Senior Colorist
Kromofor Color Graing Boutique: Malmö, Sweden
www.kromofor.se

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 2:57 am

Can you post one original frame?
Or a link to one.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager