Memory Leak in Clone Function

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Uli Plank

Memory Leak in Clone Function

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Now that it works quite well on the Mac (since we finally can eject a volume after cloning without leaving Resolve) I've been using the clone function quite frequently for a while. Until now the size of my cards and the files was reasonably small and all went well.
I even prefer it to Offload now, which has a bug regarding the date/time stamp.

But recently I needed to clone pretty large files from a 1 TB SSD (out of the Shogun) with single files reaching half a TB (very long 4K recordings in ProRes HQ).
Now I'm observing a memory leak that can lead to a complete stall on my Laptop (with only 16 GB RAM). When I observe the memory use it is constantly increasing while cloning is active until it leaves no more room for stable function. Needles to say that Resolve is crashing in these cases if I continue to work with it (after all, cloning works in the background).

Now that I know about this, I can see the increasing use of memory with smaller media too. The problem might be to get a proper crash log, since the function is just getting slower and slower until the "time remaining" is increasing instead of decreasing. It doesn't really crash, but I need to kill Resolve, since the stop button doesn't help,

Anybody else seeing this?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve