Editing UI feeling slow/laggy

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

András Horváth

Editing UI feeling slow/laggy

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi!

I have a small problem with resolve 12.3.1, I can get realtime playback even with multiple nodes without any problems, however in the editing panel if I'm editing the ui specialy the timeline can be quiet slow/lag a lot of the times, I have tried to switch over to no thumbnail/waveform view mode as somebody suggested that here in the forum a long time ago, but that didn't fix the problem sadly.
The problem happens no matter what files are in the timeline, however mostly I work with footage from a7s, and fs7.

My system is the following:
i7 5820k at stock speeds
32 GB DDR4
GTX980 Ti 6 GB
Windows 10 Pro
840 evo system ssd
850 evo media ssd which houses all my media files for the current project
various hdds.
triple monitor setup: 2x 1080p 1x 1440p (using dual monitor on the 1440p one and one of the 1080p)

I do have a spare GTX660 2 GB laying around, would installing that help, or does the free version even support GUI + GPU setups (there are a lot of mixed info about this on the net)?

Thanks for the help!
András

AlecWild

Re: Editing UI feeling slow/laggy

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 2:11 am

I'm having the same issue with dual GTX960 4GB GPUs. Lag in the edit page since upgrading to 12.3.1. Getting terrible fps, while in the color page, things work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iMac Retina 2019, Radeon RX 580 GB, 32 GB RAM
Resolve Studio 16.2.7 & 17.0 Beta

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 3:41 am

andras, try to use one monitor only and see if improve, then we week do the next step
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Sean Pollaro

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi all! I've been struggling with this edit page lag as well but may have found the solution. Not sure if this is the same issue you all are having but for me there was a good 1 second delay between hitting spacebar and the actual playback. the delay would also happen on timeline zoom in zoom out and when switching to the media color and deliver pages as well. Also, while playback was smooth via my decklink and SDI monitor, it was choppy as hell in the timeline viewer of the UI. It was horribly frustrating and felt like treading through a swamp. Last night I got fed up and decided to yet again play around with some settings. Firstly I went into preferences and cranked the pre-allocated system memory up to 12000mb. Upon exiting the program and reopening I noticed some improvement. There was still about a half second lag. I then started thinking about windows 10 and all the BS that may be running in the background sucking memory. First I made sure Cortana was disabled then I opened the task manager clicked on the "startup" tab and disabled just about every program that was automatically launching on boot up. Not sure what did it but the lag is completely gone and I get immediate playback now when I hit spacebar. some other program was interfering with resolve's performance. This is the first time resolve 12 editing has functioned properly for me. Hope this helps someone.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 27, 2016 12:50 am

That's a good tip, Sean.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sean Pollaro

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 1:52 pm

update: came in today booted up and the edit page lag is back. shutdown my computer and powered down my proavid raid then rebooted. Lag is gone again and back to normal. Hope this helps someone

John Paines

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 pm

One simple change in Windows which can reduce lag is using a power profile which sets the minimum processor speed at 100%, so processor speed is always at 100%.

Most power profiles allow for the CPU speed to drop during idle periods, including inside Resolve. Executing a command when the system is running at lower speed can increase lag.

Return to DaVinci Resolve