Resolve 12 crashing using 6K RED Weapon footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MichRichGreene

Resolve 12 crashing using 6K RED Weapon footage

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 1:24 am

I am DITing on a production for the next few months and am running workflow tests this week.
We are using the new RED Weapon shooting 6K footage at 5:1 REDCODE data ratio, shooting anamorphic.
We are also attempting to utilize the Weapon's ability to simultaneously record 2K ProRes files.
Since we are shooting anamorphic, the resolution of the ProRes files is 1920x788.

The post house would like audio-synced transcodes/proxies made from the footage we are shooting, exported at 1920x1080.
They want/recommend that I perform this task in Resolve 12.

However, I have run into Resolve crashing over and over again when attempting to access the clip folders, without any error message or error log/report.
Once the files are in my media pool, Resolve seems to run great.
But I run into problems when I attempt to let Resolve access these folders in the Media Storage window.

I think perhaps that I have narrowed down the problem, though I cannot be sure.
We have a few instances (on 2 out of 4 cards so far-the only ones that matter), of the ProRes files not recording properly in camera. The associated RAW files appear unaffected.
But the ProRes .mov files will not play in Finder, indicating to me me that they did not finish properly encoding in camera.
Resolve seems to consistently shut down when I try to access one of these folders with the incomplete ProRes .mov files and only sporadically and randomly when I perform other actions.

I reinstalled Resolve 11 and had no problems performing these tasks.
And Premiere and REDCINE-X also have no problems attempting to access my clips folders.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
I know the Weapon is rather new, but I thought I would give this post a go.
It has been a huge headache these last two days.

So far our solution is to not record those ProRes files in camera at all and I will just make my transcodes straight from the RAW files.
Or I will use Resolve 11.
I am very open to any other suggestions.
Thank you for your time and assistance!

Also this is specs of the system I am using:
-MacPro (Late 2013)
-Running El Capitan
-3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 Processor
-32 GBs RAM
-AMD FirePro D700 6144MB Graphics Card
But I ran into the same problems when testing the same footage and workflow with my 5K Late 2015 iMac.
I do not believe the computer system is the culprit here.

Resolve logs attached.

Thank you again for any help or advice!
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20160308-192338.tgz
(80.67 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

MichRichGreene

Re: Resolve 12 crashing using 6K RED Weapon footage

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 5:52 pm

522 views...
0 responses.

:/

Frank Wylie

Re: Resolve 12 crashing using 6K RED Weapon footage

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 pm

I am finding Prores output of 2048 x 864 for anamorphic here: http://www.octamas.com/rental-RED-DRAGON.php

Why 788 on your end?

Disclaimer: I don't have a 6K anything, but you shamed me into a response... ;)
Frank Wylie

Return to DaVinci Resolve