Resolve Work Folders...A pain in the ass, please explain.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brent Marginet

Resolve Work Folders...A pain in the ass, please explain.

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 am

Resolve uses three different work folders, one for Proxy Files, one for CacheClips and the last one for Gallery Images. Please explain why these are Project Based and not System Based, I find them to be a real pain in the ass.

Let me explain why. I receive Master Footage and a DaVinci Project from a Movie Set every day which I Render to DNxHD-36. Every time I get the Project I must go in and change these folders to the paths on my machine because the DMT's paths and even boot drive name are different in some cases. Now you would say just mirror his settings but sometimes I'm working on two movies at the same time and both DMT's use different settings than I do. What I have done to help a bit is to copy each of the paths to a folder name on my second monitors desktop so I can copy and paste the paths into DaVinci quickly, if I forget though it starts complaining and has even caused a Render to crash.

I see no reason for these to be project based so please fill me in if there is. There are probably other settings that should be system based as well, I can't think of any right now but would like some input from other DaVinci users. I would also like to see a User based set of settings so I can name a User as the Movie name and when I log into that User/Movie these settings auto load. This makes sense to me because once things are set on a particular movie very little ever changes.

Brent Marginet

Re: Resolve Work Folders...A pain in the ass, please explain

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 am

Can someone also explain why you cannot get to the Preferences until your in an actual project and how the crazy Pattern Strings (*/%R???? for Alexa and */%R???????? for Red Cam) are determined. What do each of those characters mean and why are there four more ? for the Red Camera. Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 9:45 am

Hi, you seem to have a number of set up issues. Please review the manual where we discuss at length setting up users, configurations for those users that you can save as default or change during the projects.

Normally users set the boot drive, and a fixed, path for gallery stills, etc, and only need to change, add, remove the images drives. You can't use the cache clips externally and are not likely to use the proxy externally so these seem logically to be semi-rigid. I can see the potential for Gallery to change but again, its not common.

In which case, setting up the default configs seems like what you are looking for. It will be in the manual under User config defaults.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Brent Marginet

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 pm

I will re-read these sections as I must have misunderstood or overlooked some of the capabilities of the settings that can be saved on a system based level as presets. Thanks

Chris Hocking

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 pm

The first volume listed in the Media Storage section of the Preferences is where Gallery stills and cache files are stored, so you want to make sure that you choose the fastest storage volume to which you have access.

Brent Marginet

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks Peter I re-read the areas you suggested and I can't believe I overlooked the way to deal with Presets. I guess I was either being stupid or had Version 8 stuck in my head. It all makes sense now and works great, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Also thanks for the 9.1.1 update it has Resolved (ha ha ha!!!) the Rendering speed that 9.1 had.

Return to DaVinci Resolve