Strange DNxHD gamma shift - solutions?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Reinis Traidas

Strange DNxHD gamma shift - solutions?

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 2:45 pm

This is probably as old as the earth, but - I've been using Resolve 12 (PC) succesfully to grade all kinds of footage and then roundtrip the rendered files back to editing (Premiere) in DNxHD (185/10bit) in both MOV and MXF containers. I've had no inconsistencies in the gamma until now.

Clients have started complaining lately that my DNxHD files are coming to them with a heavily crushed gamma (blacks are much darker than on my reference monitor). I've had clients who use both Adobe apps on Mac and Smoke/Flame (Linux) say this. I normally export it with the "Data" preset instead of 709. I've tried to replicate the issue now and it's true - opening the files with anything on a Mac sytem (Quicktime, VLC, Premiere) shows them up as heavily crushed.

Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem? I know DNxHD in a Quicktime wrapper isn't the most consistent thing, AFAIK the wrapper behaves very oddly sometimes, but this is a new thing.

Exporting a TIFF or DPX sequence works fine, but exporting QT is sometimes needed to, so - any ideas? I've tried to use the MXF container, as well as DNxHR compression and that has the same gamma issue. The PC version of Premiere 2014 doesn't have an issue with gamma of DNxHD files out of Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve