Fix tinny voice recording

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Steven West

Fix tinny voice recording

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 8:59 am

Hi

I played with the audio effects in DR 12 to try to make a recording of a headset on a public crowd speaker more full.
The output of the headset receiver was ok but the processing adds too much noise-cancelling so it strips out too much from the natural voice spectrum and the sounds was flat and non-dynamic.

Any experience in which effects and which sliders that can improve this a bit?

any help is of course greatly appreciated! =)

Marc Wielage

Re: Fix tinny voice recording

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 11:55 pm

There's not too much that can be done in this case, since the original material was stomped on too hard. The key to recording usable voices in noisy areas is to use a high-quality mic and get it close to the person speaking without distortion

In some cases, iZotope RX can help, but this is not an inexpensive program, and it requires some skill to use. There is a plug-in version that will work with Resolve. My opinion is that you're better off going to a specific audio editing/mixing program like Pro Tools for delicate operations like this.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Leslie Wand

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 4:21 am

+1 marc

izotope is pretty remarkable, and has save some awfully ropy audio i've been given in the past. i think there's a demo version that will give you some idea of what it can do...

much as i sing the praises of resolve (well perhaps not now that xdcam is broken), it's far from being an audio editor. i'm using some vst plug ins to improve it's baseline, but would certainly look to a more pro tool for any serious sweetening.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Steven West

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 7:25 am

Thanks alot! I have tried izotope on adobe audition long time ago, how about just make a voice less sharp, just cut the highs a bit, would be nice sometimes to not have to use a bunch of heavy programs for "small" adjustments. Which of the fx in DR would you use?

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Steven West wrote:Thanks alot! I have tried izotope on adobe audition long time ago, how about just make a voice less sharp, just cut the highs a bit, would be nice sometimes to not have to use a bunch of heavy programs for "small" adjustments. Which of the fx in DR would you use?

None. I don't think it's adequate to do complex audio processing. But I would say the same thing about Premiere, FCP, Sony Vegas, or anything. You really need to do this in an audio-specific program.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Steven West

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 1:39 pm

ok thanks!

Paul Willis

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 11:53 pm

I think I have to agree with everyone else in that you need an audio package to do this.

Really it sounds like some good EQ work is needed if it's just adjusting the overall tone. I think there's an EQ in there but it's not going to be great.

As a general guide...

Cutting around 5-3kHz might take out the 'tinny' sound, and a boost around the low-mids (around (90-120Hz) should add a bit of warmth. Don't boost anything below 80 as you'll add some low end rumble. This is just a basic guideline, it's something you'd have to mess around with till you felt it worked. Make sure you keep the bandwidth fairly wide for each frequency adjustment.

Chances are you can't improve it that much if it's poor quality.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Return to DaVinci Resolve