Resolve crash opening restored project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eddy Juillerat

Resolve crash opening restored project

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Another one to add to the impressive collection of Resolve bugs.
It's funny that name by the way: "Resolve" but it creates problems more than resolving them.
I stop counting the hours and days spending to to find ways around those endless bugs. One in every corner.

Actions:
- To restore an project from 2 days ago, I copied (the folder of the project's name) the one saved on my backup to the System disk
- Launch Resolve, open the project (no trace of date of creation) and......... crash.

Do we need to replace all other folders too?

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox1j77plvq8swtu/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-_183441.zip?dl=0

My Sysinfo.nfo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf85y872jkcrfdt/EddyJuillerat_sysinfo.nfo?dl=0
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Eddy Juillerat

Re: Resolve crash opening restored project

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Guess what?

I took the folder back in place, so the files and folders are in the state of 10 minutes ago.

Still crashing when I open it.

Weeks of jobs lost?
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Jakub Lipsky

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 6:22 pm

Have you tried opening another project first and then switching to the one you actually want to open, it sometimes helps. Also try to switch to another page (Color or Delivery) in Resolve before opening the faulty project.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 4:06 am

Generally, you're better off actually Exporting a project, then Importing it when you need to restore it. Problems can happen if you try to do this within the operating system and not through Resolve itself.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Eddy Juillerat

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 10:33 am

Jakub Lipsky wrote:Have you tried opening another project first and then switching to the one you actually want to open, it sometimes helps.

Thanks for ideas. I can't open another project, it crashes every time. I can only open a project when Resolve is started. If I want to open another one, I quit and restart.

Also try to switch to another page (Color or Delivery) in Resolve before opening the faulty project.

Tried, not working.
Last edited by Eddy Juillerat on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eddy Juillerat

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 10:40 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Generally, you're better off actually Exporting a project, then Importing it when you need to restore it. Problems can happen if you try to do this within the operating system and not through Resolve itself.

Good idea Marc. Windows is bad to keep some data like files creation date. It sometimes mess up programs to retrieve files.
It crashes when I export the project when I open Resolve. I'm stuck.

The only thing working is to save a project under another name. I did that 4 days ago. So its "only" 4 days of noding, tracking and windowing. Still annoying like hell.

Eddy Juillerat

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 am

Every crash implied this file: MSVCR100.dll (Fault module version 10.0.40219.1)

Google tells me that this file causes others programs crashes. I try rebooting Windows on safeboot mode, it still crashes.
I update Resolve to the last version 12.3.2.008, still crashes.

All that tried on 2 different Win7 x64 PC, different Windows original copy

Eddy Juillerat

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 pm

The msvcr100.dll file is a part of Visual C++.
I reinstall it (the 64 bits version), still crashing.

If I rename the file, Resolve don't start.

Eddy Juillerat

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

In a Windows forum, I found that this module can cause problems to others programs.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/faulting-module-name-msvcr100dll/803afa34-a7ed-4dfb-bd57-331c83e26f0c
I tried the solution 1 and 2 but 3 is to reinstall the software.
I don't want to do this, because Resolve seems so sensible to any change, I fear that I could lose all the other projects.

Is there anybody in this company who have some idea why this msvcr100.dll cause crashing?
Some clues? Some leads I can follow?

Do I need to ask Microsoft? Who do I need to blow to have an answer? Even a short one like: "Get lost"?
Did I forget to say PLEASE?

Eddy Juillerat

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 2:38 pm

On one of the 2 machines, I uninstall all Visual C++ components.
Reinstall Resolve last version, automaticly installing Visual C++ 2010.

Still crashing.

But now the MSVCR100.dll fault module version is 10.0.4019.325 (instead of 10.0.40219.1)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 3:06 pm

oh dear...

if i want a machine to perform well, i will tree to restrict that machine to a clean install and for how much i can to only the software i need.

is like a race car: the more specialized it is, the better it perform (unless it's a 2016 ferrari. .. the broke down at the warming lap)

hearing of install/remove/reinstall c++ does not seems a good idea to me.

as usual, this is not factual, is just my humble opinion, I'm not trying to tell you how to work. ..
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Eddy Juillerat

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 3:33 pm

I know what you mean Marc. But that's I've done.
It's pretty clean, except that Resolve is not the only software on it.

I have 3 machines, 1 linux for usual mail stuff, 1 Win7 x64 to work and a laptop dual-boot Linux/Win7 x64 to save me.
I assembled it myself, install programs I need, and that's it. This machine is not connected to internet, I use it only for jobs. No antivirus, no firewall, I cleared many dispensable stuff in Windows to make it light as possible. And it works well.

A few month ago, Resolve starts to crash at closing, then for a few weeks, not crashing at all, and since a month, it crashes again.
Didn't install stuff in between (maybe once a Resolve update).

Re-making the 4 days job is my only solution now, thanks to my duplicated project a week ago. Could be worse and it's way of learning by doing it again... :shock: .

Anyway, thanks for the message. I feel less alone =)

Jakub Lipsky

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm not sure this is the problem but should it work on Windows 7? Because officially the minimum requirements are "Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with SP1".

Eddy Juillerat

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 4:52 pm

Jakub Lipsky wrote:I'm not sure this is the problem but should it work on Windows 7? Because officially the minimum requirements are "Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with SP1".

When I bought the BMCC with Resolve (end of 2014), they mentioned 7 and 8. Now the config guide says "supports 8.1".
Good point Jakub.

If it's that, I didn't saw any warning on the Resolve updates.

On another forum:
" I just received an email from BMD customer support, re: Win 7. While they did not test Resolve v12.0 on win 7, they fully expect it will work. "
Last edited by Eddy Juillerat on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakub Lipsky

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 5:08 pm

It is mentioned in the readme more on the download page. Since Resolve 12 there is minimum requirements Windows 8.1.
However I would suspect this could have no effect on the problem. It could only mean that they simply stopped checking Resolve on Windows 7.

Jakub Lipsky

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 1:01 am

Try using ColorTrace to load the corrections to identical timeline in a new project from the faulty project. It's possible this will crash as well.

edit:
I'm not sure which corrections are copied by ColorTrace, maybe Power windows aren't.

Eddy Juillerat

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 5:22 pm

Thx Jakub.
I send an email to BlackMagic, they are looking for what went wrong.

I didn't test the Color Trace, because almost all operation provoques crash (exept "save" and "save as"), I stopped trying to fix that.
I redone my days of jobs.

Jack Stall

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 10:36 pm

I used to have alot of crashes... Found out the problem with Visual C++ was cause by my antivirus / firewall... It took me days to figure this out. At the time I was using ZoneAlarm FW / Avirus and it was causing this. Nothing helped - exceptions in fw and av, turning it off completely. Only thing that helped was a complete remove and buying eset. Never had a problem with eset....

waltervolpatto wrote:oh dear...

if i want a machine to perform well, i will tree to restrict that machine to a clean install and for how much i can to only the software i need.

is like a race car: the more specialized it is, the better it perform (unless it's a 2016 ferrari. .. the broke down at the warming lap)

hearing of install/remove/reinstall c++ does not seems a good idea to me.

as usual, this is not factual, is just my humble opinion, I'm not trying to tell you how to work. ..

+1 thats my way too.... Never use anything you dont actually need. If you need something temporarily, remove it later with geek (advanced removal soft). Keeps your pc as clean as possible.

Stepan Ko

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 11:41 pm

Eddy Juillerat wrote:Another one to add to the impressive collection of Resolve bugs.
It's funny that name by the way: "Resolve" but it creates problems more than resolving them.

God i thought of that all the time this week. Sounds like you are having as many crashes as i do, and i'm on 8.1 and a fully compatible z840. I don't think i ever got anything useful out of either support or the bm reps on this forum. Got tons of useful stuff from the users but literally nothing from any representative of bm

Eddy Juillerat

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 10:03 am

Jack Stall wrote:I used to have alot of crashes... Found out the problem with Visual C++ was cause by my antivirus / firewall...
Never use anything you dont actually need. If you need something temporarily, remove it later with geek (advanced removal soft). Keeps your pc as clean as possible.

Thanks. In fact my work machine is not connected, so no antivirus, no firewall (it's faster and safe) and I never install something I don't need or previoulsy tested on my laptop with the same OS.
And I tried install all MS Visual C++ (not on the work machine but on the laptop with same Resolve version) but it stills crashes.

Eddy Juillerat

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 10:15 am

Stepan Ko wrote:God i thought of that all the time this week. Sounds like you are having as many crashes as i do, and i'm on 8.1 and a fully compatible z840. I don't think i ever got anything useful out of either support or the bm reps on this forum. Got tons of useful stuff from the users but literally nothing from any representative of bm

Maybe it's a base programming thing, I don't know. I feel something "fragile" about it. As users, we just want something that works well. After email to them, they respond quickly, and seems to take care of this. That's a good start.

I'm sure they have a reall will to do a great tool. It goes with their camera policy (a good tool for a cheap price), free download for Resolve and Fusion. So for now I want to stick with these guys (and girls)

To be fair, except for the "quit-restore-crash" and the many little things that shows that details are not properly fixed, it works well and many aspects of this tool are great.
Like I say: I hate to love Resolve. =)

I thought go to Linux since Resolve is Linux-capable. With Blender and The Gimp (which some aspects are better than Photoshop, some others less), I have now a good reason to split the computer on 2 OS.

Stepan Ko

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 pm

As far as i'm aware the linux version licence is only sold with the full panel which makes it a little but on the pricy side. Obviously for the price that they sell the full version for windows or mac there is no other option, but the buggyness and lagginess of this program is just on another level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Apr 16, 2016 4:07 am

guys, keep in mind that everyone has been busy with NAB...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 2:20 am

Stepan Ko wrote:As far as i'm aware the linux version licence is only sold with the full panel which makes it a little but on the pricy side. Obviously for the price that they sell the full version for windows or mac there is no other option, but the buggyness and lagginess of this program is just on another level.

No bugginess and lagginess here. I get projects done each and every week on a relatively simple Mac Pro, and it's generally fine. But I'm pretty cautious about how I work and how I back up. I don't dispute there are improvements they can make, but you can say that about any software.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Stepan Ko

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 10:26 am

This is my personal general experience with resolve. I'm sure everyone has it differently. I also have projects every week, maybe not as good or as complicated as you guys, but still projects that i will get hanged for not submitting on time, and for some reason since i've gone to 12 i get hit by many random bugs and problems that really take a lot of overtime to sort out. And support never seems to know anything on the matter and the generic answer is "we can't replicate the issue". It's understandable, but several times in a row it's just annoying. If i get client feedback on a grade and they say they don't like it i go and try and figure out what is it that i'm doing that they don't like, i don't send them an email saying i think it looks banging and I can't see the problem they are talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve