Grey bars and poor playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Najeeb Arshad

Grey bars and poor playback

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi

This is my first time using resolve and I've started editing and I've run into some issues.

Firstly, whenever I add footage to the timeline, or just play the footage back, these horizontal grey bars appear on the footage, usually at the beginning and end of the clips. If I extend or cut the length of the clips, the grey bars appear at the new beginning of a clip. I rendered the footage to see if they would appear in the final output and they do. And I'm not sure why or where they're coming from because if I just playback the footage in a media player on my computer, the footage is fine.

Also, if I put two pieces of footage together and add a cross dissolve, the footage becomes choppy at the point of the dissolve and this is also present in the rendered output.

Why is this happening and what can I do to fix this, I'd like to get on with editing smoothly!

My System Specs:

i5 6600
16GB Ram
Geforce 960 GTX 4GB

Najeeb Arshad

Re: Grey bars and poor playback

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing this/what I can do to fix this? I feel like it might be timeline or project settings but I'm not familiar with resolve at this point.

Jeff Brass

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 3:21 am

can you give us some detail n the file format? if its h264 (ie from a dslr etc) then yeah, thats hard work on resolve. Best to transcode into DNxHD

would be good also to see a screenshot of the grey bars, would help in trying to work out whats happening
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Najeeb Arshad

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:can you give us some detail n the file format? if its h264 (ie from a dslr etc) then yeah, thats hard work on resolve. Best to transcode into DNxHD

would be good also to see a screenshot of the grey bars, would help in trying to work out whats happening

The file format is .MTS, it's AVCHD video. (I use an olympus m43 camera and that's the only file format I can get out of it).

Screenshots of the issue attached. I can also provide you with a quick rendered output of two clips I added to the timeline, and cross dissolved together. The grey bars and choppy cross dissolve are all present in the rendered output (it's like 10 ish seconds long).

Thanks so far
Attachments
bars2.jpg
this is one of the two types of bars that appear, sometimes in the middle of footage, often at the beginning of footage
bars2.jpg (404.78 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
bars.jpg
this is one of the two types of bars that appear, sometimes in the middle of footage, often at the beginning of footage
bars.jpg (341.52 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
nobars.jpg
this is the footage without the bars
nobars.jpg (331.85 KiB) Viewed 1601 times

Jeff Brass

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 4:12 am

I've never tried a AVCHD file in resolve but from what I understand, resolve doesn't like AVCHD.

the first thing to try is converting the file into a friendly format,Prores or DNxHD .
I have no idea which software is the best way to go for AVCHD but heres a couple of links to discussions about just this.
http://www.transfermyvideofiles.com/avc ... i-resolve/
http://file-editing-tips.over-blog.com/ ... solve-lite
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=859

hope something from that helps
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Najeeb Arshad

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 am

Jeff Brass wrote:I've never tried a AVCHD file in resolve but from what I understand, resolve doesn't like AVCHD ...

Thanks for that. I've had to repair my PC so it'll be a little while before I can test this but I imagine using AVCHD might be the problem.

One question I have though, by converting my footage from AVCHD to proRes or another suitable format, will I lose video quality/information?

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 9:46 am

You can also try to re-wrap your footage from .MTS into .MP4 or .MOV, which will be fast and not change the quality at all. It will still be H.264 and heavy on the computer, but compact like the original. Works well for me with a hacked GH2.

OTOH, the IQ of cameras with .MTS is typically not that critical to make any difference when transcoding to ProRes or DNxHD, you'll just need more storage space.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Najeeb Arshad

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 9:50 am

Uli Plank wrote:You can also try to re-wrap your footage from .MTS into .MP4 or .MOV, which will be fast and not change the quality at all. It will still be H.264 and heavy on the computer, but compact like the original. Works well for me with a hacked GH2.

OTOH, the IQ of cameras with .MTS is typically not that critical to make any difference when transcoding to ProRes or DNxHD, you'll just need more storage space.

How can I re-wrap the footage?

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Since you are on the Mac, try MP4toQT, but the developer says it's support of .MTS is still "experimental".

Or get EditReady, which is a bit more expensive. Both will allow you to add TC (based on creation time) and reel names, which is highly recommended for any round-tripping between other NLEs and resolve.

Can you read German? I could send you an article of mine.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Najeeb Arshad

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Since you are on the Mac, try MP4toQT, but the developer says it's support of .MTS is still "experimental" ...

Oh, I'm actually on Windows. any recommendations there?

And I can't read German but I have a friend who I think is fluent, so perhaps you could send it to me and I'll see if I can make sense of it. Thank you.

Return to DaVinci Resolve