Learning Sources

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nigel King

Learning Sources

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm am brand new to DavRes12 and would like to learn. I'm new to the whole video editing thing to be fair. Are there any good online sources for tutorials or is there a manual to download for Resolve?

JPOwens

Re: Learning Sources

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 9:02 pm

Nigel King wrote:Are there any good online sources for tutorials or is there a manual to download for Resolve?

I think the appropriate phrase here would be "out the yin-yang." Ripple, Lynda, PLuralsight... and so on as third-party, with many many tutorials on NLE developers' websites, and of course the Resolve manual is part of the application/download. Inside Resolve, go to Help... and search.

jPo

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 2:03 am

Start with these:

Warren Eagles' FXPHD Resolve Tutorials:
https://www.fxphd.com/store/fastforward ... damentals/

Alexis Van Hurkman's Resolve Tutorials:
http://www.rippletraining.com/categorie ... i-resolve/

Patrick Inhofer's Mixing Light Resolve Tutorial:
https://mixinglight.com/color-correctio ... tutorials/

I like all three for different reasons: Alexis' is very thorough and technical; Warren is very down-to-earth and provides practical examples; and Patrick goes into the basics and touches on non-obvious extras. Each does a very good job. I have not been as impressed by the other tutorials on the web, frequently done by people with dubious credentials.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Nigel King

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 3:31 pm

excellent, thanks for those, I will get straight on it. :D

EDIT: Great stuff there and very in depth is would seem. I was wanting to learn a bit just for home / leisure use, I already have a career ;) Its just the editing side of things I was hoping to pick up. I'll start with the manual. and see how that goes. Thx again.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 12:29 am

I have to say, Alexis Van Hurkman's manual (which is free) is extremely good, even though it's a chore to plow through all 1100 pages. If you devote a week to just sitting down for 8-10 hours a day and read every single page with the manual, you'll understand the program very thoroughly.

What takes more time to learn is coming up with a philosophy of color correction, so you can dive in to client material and know instinctively what tool to use to solve a specific problem. This is the part of being a colorist that you can't learn from a book or a tutorial -- it just takes time and experience.

Nigel King

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 9:37 am

I see that part of it as require some level of artistic ability, natural flare, if you will. Which I am not. I'm more; see something I like and try to copy it ;)

Does that manual got through the editing part of resolve also? I'll go try and locate it and take a look. Thanks.

Nigel King

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 am

So far I've found some paid for stuff, which looks a little more accessible price wise for me. I would consider buying if they tackle the basics of editing and importing / finalising videos. The later seems to be on the nail, but the former might be what I need as a noob...

1. DaVinci Resolve 12 QuickStart

2. Editing & Finishing in DaVinci Resolve 12

didn't find any links to free manual though, if anyone has that?

EDIT: "The beta edition of the Resolve 12 User Manual is included with the installation in the DaVinci Resolve application folder".... ok I follow now. Its the same manual we were talking about earlier that comes with the program, ;)

Paul Sangha

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 12:26 pm

I was looking to brush up editing in Resolve, so I decided to open the Resolve Manual on one screen and Resolve Software on the second screen with 10-15 random short video clips in a practice project - and go through the editing chapters in the manual. 1 very long day or 2 easy days should do it.
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:13 am

Paul Sangha wrote:I was looking to brush up editing in Resolve, so I decided to open the Resolve Manual on one screen and Resolve Software on the second screen with 10-15 random short video clips in a practice project - and go through the editing chapters in the manual. 1 very long day or 2 easy days should do it.

I dunno. To me, it takes at least a day just to absorb the problems involved with conforming, and there are also a lot of shortcuts you have to know. Pages 164-547 all center around media, importing, and editing, and really going through 400 pages takes a while to absorb. Don't be in a rush -- this is a program with a lot of complexity and nuance, and like anything else, it takes some time to really get familiar with it to the point where most of the features and functions become second nature.

Paul Sangha

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Yes, I have Editing and Grading Shortcuts printed on A3 and hung up above my monitor from here: http://ilovehue.net/?p=630

They are from version 11 but still apply and are very handy. I thought of making a custom one for myself but its too much work.

Yes since I was already familiar with Media, Import etc from V10 days, and Editing basics from V11 too - I only slowed down at the editing stuff in the manual I didn't already know about. :)
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

John Nuttall

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 8:23 pm

There's an "official" book coming out in UK on 22 April 2016 from Peachpit Press

Davinci Resolve 12 - Blackmagic Design Authorized Training Series : Editing Fundamentals

This is long overdue - it was originally offered autumn 2015 from Pearson - but it failed just about every deadline for six months (why?).

Amazon UK are useless at knowing when it is available but BookDepository has it in pre-order at £16.99 with free postage. Advertised as multi-media package so I assume there's a DVD with tutorial materials etc.

Edited 27/04/16 I queried Pearson/Peachpit why their book had yet again failed the 22nd April deadline and got this reply:- "We do not have any plans to publish this product".

There's also this - available as paperback or Kindle and you can download the tutorial clips:-

Learning Davinci Resolve 12: A step-by-step guide to editing and color grading. Paperback – 25 Jan 2016.

Return to DaVinci Resolve