Select Clip at Playhead Shortcut

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

taylorcbrown

Select Clip at Playhead Shortcut

PostSat Apr 16, 2016 10:05 pm

Is there an equivalent DaVinci Resolve shortcut or functionality for the "Select Clip at Playhead" shortcut in Premiere Pro? If not, feature request.

skalinkin

Re: Select Clip at Playhead Shortcut

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 2:39 am

I had a similar question.

When I am cutting clips on timeline I am using keyboard to navigate. When I delete a selected clip nothing left selected. Then on the next clip I am positioning playhead at the place where I would like to trim an use [ or ]. It does not trim until I select the clip.

Currently I am checking "Selection follows playhead" option in Timeline menu. to keep selection of the clips.

krizwit

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:57 pm

I cant seem to find a short cut to select the clip at the Playhead. It seems like it would be a common shortcut. It is kind of irritating to have to use my mouse to select the clip when a simple keyboard shortcut should do it. Davinci is amazing, so there has to be some shortcut or process to get it to work.

Thanks in advance!
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6 on Mac
MacBookPro 14" M1, 16GB RAM, Monterey 12.5.1
Acer Predator Helios 300 - 8th gen i7-8750, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060, Win 11,

John Paines

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Come on, folks. shift+v.

krizwit

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm

John Paines wrote:Come on, folks. shift+v.

Thanks, you rule. Best part of my day was checking that it worked.... Not sure why it is so hard to find some info.
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6 on Mac
MacBookPro 14" M1, 16GB RAM, Monterey 12.5.1
Acer Predator Helios 300 - 8th gen i7-8750, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060, Win 11,

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 am

The Trim > Select Nearest Clip / Gap / Edit are the application menus you’re looking for.

Please also take a look at the reference manual - in this case searching the PDF for “Select Clip” gives me hits on pages 503-506 which have valuable editing hotkeys for actions from the Trim and Timeline menus.

David Luhr

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Is there any way to select all clips at the playhead position, across multiple tracks? Shift + V only selects the nearest clip in the current track.

It'd be great if there was a modifier key to be used with Up/Down Arrow to add the previous/next clip to the selection, since Up/Down arrow already move across tracks to select the Previous/Next Clip/Edit.

What I need to do, using the keyboard, in unlink clips (Ctrl/Cmd + Alt/Option + L), do some edits on either the video or audio portion of clip, select both the video and audio clips at the playhead, and relink them.

I've tried some workarounds, such as selecting the linked clip, adding a marker (M), performing the needed edits, and then using Timeline > Select Clips with Marker Color. But, there is no shortcut for this Select Clips command. Even if this command had a keyboard shortcut, there's no way to link the clips without using the mouse to click on the clips to "focus" them. I've even tried View > Active Window Selection > Timeline (Ctrl/Cmd + 3), but this still doesn't focus the selected clips to link them.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

Andreas Urra

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 3:21 pm

+1 on "select all clips at playhead"

This would make it possible to link and unlink clips purely with the keyboard. Currently, once the clips are unlinked, the only way to select them all (and relink) is with the mouse.
Win10, 128GB RAM
NVidia RTX 2080Ti
Resolve 16.2.4

Vit Reiter

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Try "Selection Follows Playhead" Command+W.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

freshman

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 6:39 pm

+1 for "Select All Clips at Playhead" ... I would also find that very useful.

Does anyone have a tip for doing this?

MikeMeagher

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 6:48 pm

+1
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Danilo Coelho

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 8:53 pm

+1

RobinPG

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 12:37 pm

+1 Select all clips at playhead

inveritas

PostTue May 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Im having a hard time with the keyboard customization ... I changed shift v to insert paste, and now I cant find for the life of me "select clip at playhead" ive looked through the menus ... nada ... its like its not listed and the search function in the customization panel sucks.

Vit Reiter

PostWed May 05, 2021 8:28 am

inveritas wrote:Im having a hard time with the keyboard customization ... I changed shift v to insert paste, and now I cant find for the life of me "select clip at playhead" ive looked through the menus ... nada ... its like its not listed and the search function in the customization panel sucks.
It is "Select Nearest Clip/Gap" in Trim menu. (DVR16, macOS)

RobinPG

PostMon Jul 05, 2021 3:18 pm

+1000 Select all clips at playhead.

Marek Klucar

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Why is Timeline -> Selection Follows Playhead greyed out and not working on the cut page? Do I really have to click on the current clip before hitting backspace to delete it?

Charles Bennett

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 3:45 pm

Marek, on the Cut page place the playhead on the clip to be deleted press Ctrl+Left or Right Arrow to select the clip, then Shift+Backspace to Ripple Delete it.
If you have the Speed Editor, just place the playhead on the clip and hit the Ripple Delete button.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

diaghilev

PostTue May 24, 2022 9:40 pm

I've been using Resolve for ten years. I refer to the manual frequently, but sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for, usually because I'm looking in the wrong place. In these instances, I google and I read or watch tutorials. Or, I come to the Community forum where people ask questions and helpful people provide answers.

Which is why this kind of answer drives me crazy:

Come on, folks. shift+v.

This kind of thing happens a lot. It makes people feel stupid. I recognize that sometimes people ask lazy questions, without even opening the reference manual. But I looked for this answer in the manual. I spent an hour trying to find it. I was so happy when I saw the answer here (sincerely, thank you.) But what do you want people to take away from this "Come on folks" bit? We're here in a community forum asking questions and looking for help. The thread subject literally says what the question is. If the question is stupid and you think people are being lazy for asking it, I don't understand why you'd click on the thread in the first place. But if you're going to help people out, I really would like to understand what community benefit is realized by simultaneously making them feel dumb or lazy for asking.

IMO it's fine to add a page number for the manual, or even to make a positive comment about how helpful the manual is. It IS very helpful and thorough and I use it a lot. No I'm not triggered. No I'm not overly sensitive. I just don't get the point whenever I see these 'zingers' here on this community forum, when people ask questions that you think are rote or basic or obvious. Just answer it or don't. I don't care if you're disappointed in me. That is not motivating or helpful in the least.

That being said, I will reiterate: "Thank you for the answer." Sincerely grateful.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue May 24, 2022 10:32 pm

+1000 for Erin's post. Thank you.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Vit Reiter

PostWed May 25, 2022 1:29 pm

diaghilev wrote:I've been using Resolve for ten years. I refer to the manual frequently, but sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for, usually because I'm looking in the wrong place. In these instances, I google and I read or watch tutorials. Or, I come to the Community forum where people ask questions and helpful people provide answers.

Which is why this kind of answer drives me crazy:

Come on, folks. shift+v.

This kind of thing happens a lot. It makes people feel stupid. I recognize that sometimes people ask lazy questions, without even opening the reference manual. But I looked for this answer in the manual. I spent an hour trying to find it. I was so happy when I saw the answer here (sincerely, thank you.) But what do you want people to take away from this "Come on folks" bit? We're here in a community forum asking questions and looking for help. The thread subject literally says what the question is. If the question is stupid and you think people are being lazy for asking it, I don't understand why you'd click on the thread in the first place. But if you're going to help people out, I really would like to understand what community benefit is realized by simultaneously making them feel dumb or lazy for asking.

IMO it's fine to add a page number for the manual, or even to make a positive comment about how helpful the manual is. It IS very helpful and thorough and I use it a lot. No I'm not triggered. No I'm not overly sensitive. I just don't get the point whenever I see these 'zingers' here on this community forum, when people ask questions that you think are rote or basic or obvious. Just answer it or don't. I don't care if you're disappointed in me. That is not motivating or helpful in the least.

That being said, I will reiterate: "Thank you for the answer." Sincerely grateful.
I hope the Blackmagic team is following the forum and helping them to improve the application.
Of course, I also sometimes need specific advice and I am grateful for it.

John Paines

PostWed May 25, 2022 2:48 pm

This thread is ancient, my answer, including the apparently deadly insult, "come on, folks", was posted years ago, but for the sake of peace and goodwill, I tried to find "Select Clip at Playhead Shortcut" from scratch, to see how much effort it required. Here were the steps:

-- open the PDF manual.

-- find the section on EDIT in the table of contents and click on it (so as to bypass the preceding 500 pages).

-- search for "select clip" as the likeliest phrase to provide the answer (the words were clearly in the mind of the OP, they're not a secret).

-- 4 hits later, jackpot (under "Shortcuts for this chapter")

Total time: under 20 seconds.

Maybe I was uncommonly lucky in selecting the search terms (though the OP did that work for me). Sometimes it's not obvious what terms to search for. I also wish they would put all the shortcuts in an appendix. And a week or two ago, some users had recommendations for making searches faster and more efficient.

But how, exactly, will searching for one shortcut among hundreds or thousands be made effortless, without some persistence from the user?

Beacon_colour

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 am

Normally I'd not respond because it is old but I would greatly appreciate a shortcut for Select all under playhead.

Yep John, that is simple to find. And the manual doesn't get read enough. Unfortunately that is not what is being asked for. SELECT ALL under playhead is what is being requested. Your solution which is helpful, only selects the first clip. If you have multiple unlinked clips this doesn't work.

If you or anyone else has a solution I'd love to hear it. Otherwise in my very naive understanding of programing it seems easy enough to implement?

+1 for select all under playhead.

John Paines

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 2:34 pm

Beacon_colour wrote:Unfortunately that is not what is being asked for. SELECT ALL under playhead is what is being requested.

That's what *you're* requesting. It was not the original request, or the one to which I responded. Note "clip", singular, in the title, and the satisfied if annoyed customers in the following posts.

To answer *your* question, to the best of my knowledge there is no shortcut to select all clips which intersect the playhead.
Last edited by John Paines on Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 2:36 pm

New shortcut requests can be added to the list below.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=125987
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 2:45 pm

I don't think the 'come on, folks' comment was so bad. At the time, I didn't know about the shift+v shortcut and I face-palmed when I realized how easy it would have been to find it in the manual. I had been looking in the edit menu (didn't even think of looking in the trim menu, lol). Back in 2016 I was only casually familiar with Resolve and used it only for round-tripping to Avid so editing with it was not even on my radar.

It was dumb and lazy of me not to look first. Does that make me dumb and lazy? Probably not, although momma says "stupid is as stupid does", haha.

That aside, I also like the idea of being able to select all the video clips under the timeline cursor position, so +1 to that.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

FiFilmmaker

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 12:59 pm

+4billion please and thank you.

This is a critical feature for editing efficiently.

Come on, Blackmagicdesign. Select Clip at Playhead Shortcut.

It's painful to see how requested this feature is, without any acknowledgment from bmd.

czohoori

PostThu Jun 23, 2022 11:01 pm

+1 for 'select all clips under playhead'
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Build 6
macOS Ventura 13.6
Mac Studio, M2 Max with 12‑core CPU/38‑core GPU
96 GB RAM
Projects and Cache on internal SSD

gaboarguellomarsal

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 4:29 am

Try "Selection Follows Playhead" Command+W.

Thank you!
Gabo
BsAs, Argentina.

Saintfree

PostFri May 05, 2023 2:56 am

I believe the Key combo for me is "Alt + Shift + V" which selects everything the playhead is on. Hope this helped!

louisezzliu

PostSun Aug 27, 2023 11:38 pm

Go to Keyboard Customization--> Trim -->Select All Clips Under Playhead. That's the function we've been looking for. And you can customize your shortcut to use it.

LemonAde

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 10:38 am

In the latest manual it says:
'a new set of commands lets you create and move a selection by holding down the Command key and pressing the Up, Down, Left, and Right Arrow keys. This allows you to select clips above and below the current track and to the left and right, independently of the playhead.'
This is what I wanted. However for me, running on a Mac, it doesn't work, neither with the option of 'selection follows playhead' turned on or off.
Can anyone else verify this?
BMD Mini Ursa Pro
BMD DaVinci Resolve 16 Studio with Mini Panel, StreamDeck, ScopeBox, FSI DM240

3XS 4K Edit Station:
Intel Core i9-7920X @ 2.90 GHz
12 Core i9 CPU
64GB RAM
1080ti Graphics Card

MacBook Pro 2020 13" i7 32GB RAM

mattarmstrong

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 7:16 pm

How have people been asking for a "Select ALL clips at playhead" or a Shift+V but for all tracks that don't have auto track selector disabled.

PLEASE BMD!!! I have sung your praises forever, but having had to revisit premiere for a project and getting to do this again made me remember how damn fast I could edit when I didn't have a weird Mark clip work around that barely works. If you could just code that ability or option in then Davinci would be unstoppable.

in other words another +1 in the long line of +1's who desperately want this seemingly very simple feature. Definitely not something that would require 5 years to develop right?

Return to DaVinci Resolve