feature - fix UI (Bottom Bar wastes much space)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bruce Allen

feature - fix UI (Bottom Bar wastes much space)

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 11:02 am

That massive bar at the bottom of Resolve takes up the height of an entire audio track.

All it tells me is:
1. I'm using DaVinci Resolve 12.5 (know that, plus menu bar says that too)
2. I'm in "Edit" mode, instead of Media, Color or Deliver (know that too, couldn't you move those buttons elsewhere?)
3. I can click the house to go home (couldn't you put that button in the empty space in the top bar below the menu?)
4. I can click the gear to adjust settings (ditto - please put that button in the empty space in the top bar below the menu?)

I LOVE Resolve and wish you guys well on getting the fact that Resolve is used out there. It's great there's a nice big Resolve 12.5 logo that shows up during BTS shots of films.

But it already says DaVinci Resolve in the menu bar! Can't you make THAT big, since a little extra white space up there would help anyway?

The menu bar is cramped and lacking in white space. It's crazy that the one thing we click on a lot is the most cramped.

Plus, you can still get your branding in by making a nice big DaVinci Resolve 12.5 logo in the menu.

Our company does graphic packages for TV networks and the one thing we try to do is not have multiple company logos on screen at the same time. Pick ONE place (the menu bar) and put your logo nice and big there?

My 2c is that the rough mockup I posted back when Resolve 12 was released makes better use of the available monitor space (which is often at a premium when in the field with a laptop!):

resolve_revised2.jpg
resolve_revised2.jpg (824.19 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

Bruce Allen
Technical Director - mOcean

Tom Early

Re: feature - fix UI (Bottom Bar wastes much space)

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 pm

They could make it smaller and at the top as you suggest. Or maybe there could be a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on and off like with the OS dock?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Blaine Russom

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 2:14 pm

I think this is a good idea.. it would be nice to move everything to the top, so we have more room for the controls and monitor. +1

Paul Sangha

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 2:59 pm

I've thought about the same issue and exactly the same solution. The suggested approach is more functionally economical but also looks very cluttered - it looks visually (and by consequence functionally) imbalanced at the top.

Perhaps a simpler and quicker approach is the Lightroom-esque Hide/Show bottom bar. A little up/down button - ˄ ˅ - at the bottom left or right corner could show/hide the bottom bar in Resolve.

Update - just read Tom's reply above - toggle up/down - short and sweet :)
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

Mark O'Neill

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 1:16 am

Yep, first thing I did when using Resolve was to look through the menus to minimize the massive bottom button bar. I'm glad I'm not alone. :-)

I second having the ability to toggle its visibility through the workspace menu / keyboard shortcut as it's such a waste of reel estate otherwise.

Cheers,

Mark.

Bruce Allen

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 6:11 pm

As you guys (rightly) point out, a hotkey to toggle this Bottom Bar on and off would be great too!

And if Blackmagic wants to make sure that everyone knows that DaVinci Resolve is being used even if the Bottom Bar is hidden... make the Resolve logo in the menu a little bigger and make the menu bar a little taller to match? The menu bar is pretty much the only part of the UI that is seriously lacking in white space.

Bruce Allen
Technical Director - mOcean

Return to DaVinci Resolve