No Cuda Hardware Detected

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Giovanni Costa

No Cuda Hardware Detected

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:29 am

hello,

Like many others in the forum I'm having a hard time getting Davinci 12.5 to work on my Mac Pro (2008).

My graphics card is Quadro 5800 FX (it worked perfectly on Davinci 12) but now doesn't work with 12.5
I tried updating my CUDA drivers to 7.5.26, installed the latest drivers, the latest version of El Captain, and still nothing works.

Anyone else having problem? and has anyone found a fix?

Adam Simmons

Re: No Cuda Hardware Detected

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Your GPU is too old, Resolve 12 has always stated you needed CUDA 2.0 or above and this has now been enforced in 12.5. Your card uses CUDA 1.3 from 2008
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi, we listed that CUDA 2.0 support was required for v12.0 but were only forced to make the restriction for 12.5. The older cards will need upgrading.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Giovanni Costa

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:Your GPU is too old, Resolve 12 has always stated you needed CUDA 2.0 or above and this has now been enforced in 12.5. Your card uses CUDA 1.3 from 2008
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi, we listed that CUDA 2.0 support was required for v12.0 but were only forced to make the restriction for 12.5. The older cards will need upgrading.

Looks like I'll have to get new Graphics card, what's the best PCI Express 2.0 card for Davinci ?

Adam Simmons

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Any modern PCI-e 3 card will also run on PCI-e 2, it will just run slower if it max's out the PCI-e 2 bus. Just don't bother with the Quadros unless you have 10 bit computer monitors as they are a waste of money
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Giovanni Costa

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:Any modern PCI-e 3 card will also run on PCI-e 2, it will just run slower if it max's out the PCI-e 2 bus. Just don't bother with the Quadros unless you have 10 bit computer monitors as they are a waste of money

I was not aware PCI-e 3 worked on PCI-e 2, thank you for that info. I was looking at getting a Tesla C2050, do you think that would run well with Davinci ?

Robert A. Ober

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Remember folks that Resolve wants CUDA cores. The Quadros have 3D (not stereo) support in the way of floating point acceleration. GTX cards generally have more CUDA cores, usually MANY more. You want a GTX card such as a 980Ti unless you spend a lot of time in a VFX program.

Y'all be cool,
Robert

Giovanni Costa

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Robert A. Ober wrote:Remember folks that Resolve wants CUDA cores. The Quadros have 3D (not stereo) support in the way of floating point acceleration. GTX cards generally have more CUDA cores, usually MANY more. You want a GTX card such as a 980Ti unless you spend a lot of time in a VFX program.

Y'all be cool,
Robert

Gotcha, just purchased GTX 960.

Paul Kapp

PostSat Apr 23, 2016 1:34 am

I have a Quadro K5200.
I also have a 10bit 4K monitor.
Resolve 12 will not run unless I use a Quadro driver for Win 10 from June 15 or before, or on Win 7 and a driver from September 15 or older.
All these drivers and the K5200 support CUDA 2.0 or later.
But Resolve 12.5 seems to require the latest drivers which are a disaster on Win 10, and with Resolve on any Win OS on my system.
This is true even after a clean install with nothing that could cause a conflict, except drivers and Resolve.
Resolve 12.3.2 is running well on Win 10 with the Quadro 341.81 driver from June 15.
Outside of this, Resolve crashes and has taken my OS with it on many occasions.

Why does 12.5 require the latest drivers if CUDA 2.0 has been in Quadro drivers for years?
If BMD has to meet requirements of CUDA 2.0, could they support older drivers that have 2.0?

Adam Simmons

PostSat Apr 23, 2016 5:51 am

Your card doesn't use CUDA 2.0, it uses CUDA 3.5. What they say is that your card must have at least CUDA 2.0 to work as that has the minimum instruction set required for Resolve 12.5 to work but there are probably parts in later versions it can take advantage of if they are available to speed things up.

There will have been tweaks and bug fixes along the way in the Nvidia drivers which means trying to use older versions of the CUDA drivers won't work any more without writing specific fixes for older versions. Adobe did the same thing recently with Creative Cloud where older Nvidia drivers no longer work, I can only assume it's down to changes in the code used to access the CUDA cores which all 3rd party vendors such as BM and Adobe have to write their software to work with.

If they were to try and support older versions of the drivers then that would mean a massive amount of extra coding and testing for bugs as they would have to write multiple versions of the code for each different version of the CUDA drivers and then have checks in place for that and have the software written differently for each version, which all would then need testing , which would probably add a huge load onto the software and testing phases.

It's strange that your card won't work with newer drivers, I've not seen any issues from my clients using newer drivers with cards from that range.
What are the rest of your system specs (make and model of motherboard etc) and what else do you have in the system?

It might also be a good idea to report this direct to tech support and post it in the Resolve 12.5 beta section as it's more likely to get noticed there as this is predominantly a user forum so BM tech guys don't always read posts in here.

Return to DaVinci Resolve