Feature Request - Audio Record within Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ricardo Birnbaum

Feature Request - Audio Record within Resolve

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 5:52 pm

This would be incredible and would elevate my sound post production to a new level of easiness. I would be able to use Resolve for everything. I already do my editing, and coloring in Resolve. Audio is a different story. All my audio plugins work, I can noise reduce, I can add EQ... but if I could just do Voice Over and ADR in Resolve that would avoid soooo much work. For some small projects I don't need ProTools or Audition or .... just a couple punch ins for audio problems.

Hoping this gets implemented soon.

Ricardo

Eugene Afanasiev

Re: Feature Request - Audio Record within Resolve

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 9:34 pm

+1
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Willian Aleman

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 10:35 pm

+1
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 pm

My opinion is that this is a bad idea. I think there are enough cheap or free audio recording programs out there, you don't need to clutter up Resolve with doing yet another thing. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Resolve can record video, either -- it can only take video files.

There's a thing in software development called featuritis where you weigh down software with way, way too many features far beyond their original purpose. The problem with going down that road is you wind up creating new bugs, weird interactions between the new features and the old, and the program also becomes gigantic and bloated. And Resolve is already pretty massive as it is. I would rather they concentrate on taking what they have and making it better, rather than going into a direction they've never gone before.

I would recommend Audition or Logic or Pro Tools as all being terrific sound recording programs that can record as many or as few channels as you need. Heck, if you need to do it for free, Audacity is not that bad and there are versions for Mac, Windows, and Linux.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Gary Stanford

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 12:08 am

I agree with Mark - a bad, no, a very bad idea.

In fact having seen the Resolve/Fusion link I think Blackmagic should have made a stand alone editing program with a similar link feature. It's not much slower than moving through additional tabs and would maximise hardware utilisation in both programs and minimise contaminating the individual programs with compromises. The same idea could apply to a stand alone audio function.

Just a thought.
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

JP Perry

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 6:08 am

Feature Request: I want to do my taxes within Resolve
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 9:00 am

JP Perry wrote:Feature Request: I want to do my taxes within Resolve

Exactly. The danger is that you wind up with a refrigerator that's also a toaster and is also a car.

I don't have a problem with doing some editing within Resolve, and the conforming tool set is actually pretty good. I think once they got beyond a certain point, it was decided that if they just went a little further, they'd basically have a full-blown editor... and why not. So I get that.

The interface between Resolve and Fusion is pretty slick, and you can draw parallels to what Autodesk does with Lustre and Flame (which is a considerably more costly system).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Fred Rodrigues

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 11:29 am

I am definitely one for separate audio production (I started off as an audio editor/mixer and nothing in resolve will ever get close to a proper DAW). BUT a more flexible capture tool would be a great thing for resolve. As the editor is now a full fledge feature BM will have to finish it off rather than leave it halfway- separating editing from colour is an option but not one that would seemingly come in the near future. Basically if it is an editor as well, which it is IMHO and according to the marketing, then it needs a more flexible record capability.

Something like, open up the capture tool and do a free record (no timecode or deck control) into the media pool of audio only would be great. Editors outside of film, doing offline cuts for series, very often have to make voice over guides as they cut, having this all in one place is pretty important, adding more mixing capabilities is not in my opinion- leave this to a proper studio with the right facilities, but getting the edit done may require a quick recording from a mic.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Dieter Teßin

PostSun Jul 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi,
sorry, but it would speed up the editing process if we could record voice over directly on the timeline. Most of NLE´s have it, why not in Resolve?
One possibility to cut a film is oriented to the voice over.
Step 1: coarse cut
Step 2: voice over
Step 3: to adapt the length of the clips to the voice over. There is a voice over directly on the timeline very helpful.
Step 4: background sound, noises and so on
Step 5: final cut

Kind regards,
Dieter
Win11-on-M.2, Asus-Z390P, i9-9900K, 64GB-RAM, Nvidia RTX-4070, BM-Intensity-Pro-4K

id4you.de
Regards
Dieter

David Skok

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 3:32 pm

I strongly agree that this is a badly needed feature. I use this feature extensively in Final Cut Pro X while making travel videos. In any one video, I might record as many as 10 to 20 short voiceover components. It is really important to record these as you are watching the timeline, and then have them appear in the timeline immediately. If I were to end up having to record and import these as separate wav files, and then try to remember where EXACTLY I had started each recording to place them correctly, that would add an enormous amount of time to my workflow.

I had been planning to switch editors from FCP X to DaVinci Resolve, but this one missing feature is tripping me up. I can see that I am now going to be forced to export back to Final Cut Pro and finish this project there. That is very frustrating, as I know I am going to want to keep fine tuning the color grades after doing the voiceover work.

BlackMagic, please can I put in a very strong request for this to be added.

Thanks, Phototerrrier

Miguel Contreras

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 1:29 am

Hold on, I know I'm late to the party here but saying that the ability to record voice-overs is a bad idea is a bad idea. Having to record my voice-overs in audition, export them, then import them makes me simply wonder why I'm not using Premiere in the first place.
Resolve is getting to Premiere's level in many areas and even outclassing it in others, but this particular area is most definitely not one of those.

I don't think this is too much to ask for. As a matter of fact I think it is perfectly reasonable.

Steve Alexander

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 1:53 am

Agreed. Resolve must have VO recording as a built-in feature. This is a basic tool required by most editors (even if the VO is used only as a guide for a later pro VO track).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Leslie Wand

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 4:25 am

Marc Wielage wrote:There's a thing in software development called featuritis where you weigh down software with way, way too many features far beyond their original purpose. The problem with going down that road is you wind up creating new bugs, weird interactions between the new features and the old, and the program also becomes gigantic and bloated.

he keeps taking the words out of my mouth ;-)

this 'featuritis' has been the downfall of nearly every nle i've ever used, especially vegas. all i want first and foremost is stability and reliability, manufacturers can add whatever they like as long as those first two targets are met - but they seldom are...
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 5:19 am

AFAIK you can record into a track now.
I didn't need it yet, but Alexis van Hurkman demonstrates it in lesson 42 of his new features series at Ripple training.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Steve Alexander

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Uli - I thought that was the case - I was surprised by this thread, actually. I'll have to go back to Ripple Training to watch that video again. Lol
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Kays Alatrakchi

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 4:26 pm

I think one of Resolve's emerging strengths is its ability to "morph" between a media management tool (Prelude), a video NLE (Premiere), a color grading suite (Speedgrade), some increasingly more and more powerful post tools (Aftereffects),a DAW mode (Audition), and a encoding and delivery platform (Media Manager).

Blackmagic's direction and ultimate goal seems pretty obvious to me, and they seem to be addressing exactly the type of user which has been emerging in recent years.

Adding an input and a rec button isn't featuritis, it fits neatly into the direction that Blackmagic seems to be going. Of course I totally get it that if one is the type of user who only uses one part of Resolve (i.e. editor only, or colorist only) these new functions might seem like rubbish; but it wasn't too long ago when I remember hearing some of these same individuals posting that adding NLE functions to Resolve is a waste of resources for Blackmagic.

Thank you Blackmagic for addressing the needs of myself and many like me, and keep on bringing it on!
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Seconded. Plus, it does not mean that all of us need to became a Jack of all trades – DR 14 is all about collaboration.

But with far less friction loss due to only half integrated programs.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ricardo Birnbaum

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 am

They did it... Took a couple of years, but dreams do come true.

Thanks Blackmagic!

Return to DaVinci Resolve