Noise Reduction Performance

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Will Tejeda

Noise Reduction Performance

PostWed Apr 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I've noticed that, while the new NR algorithm is indeed better now, it also has more a performance hit.

Noise reduction has always been a GPU hog though, so this isn't anything we haven't learned to deal with in the past through things like the smart cache.

But, isn't there some way to enable a global toggle for NR?

So that we can, say, have it off while editing and turn it back on for a final preview/render?

It would be nice to have a menu toggle that would be able to NR (and OFX?)

A) switch on/off
B) give you an option to set globally whether it's using Better or faster
C) a setting in the deliver page with an option to "Force Enable" the NR to Better for final render
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Nate Porter

Re: Noise Reduction Performance

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 7:17 pm

I would love to have these features. What I do currently which may or may not work for your setup is put the NR in the first node which I like to do so any grade I do doesn't amplify the noise so much that the NR doesn't think it is noise anymore. Then I set the render cache to user and enable the render cache on the first node. Then it renders all the NR into the cache and if you make any changes to the nodes after the NR it doesn't have to re-render the NR

Return to DaVinci Resolve