Cropping footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Therese Jaegtvik

Cropping footage

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 11:48 am

I'll be using Resolve to work on scanned archive footage, and there is one crucial part of my work that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere:

Is there any way to crop footage in DaVinci Resolve?
Not letterboxing or zooming, but actually cropping pixels off the image and even changing the aspect ratio and resolution that way.
Are there any plugins that could help me do this maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Cave

Re: Cropping footage

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 am

The crop function in the Edit Inspector works well. Also the size controls allow aspect adjustment.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Therese Jaegtvik

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 6:47 am

Oh, I've just been assuming that it just adds a letterbox, since it looks like it does in the editing-browser!
Thank you for your help :)

Therese Jaegtvik

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 10:17 am

It still seems to me like the crop-function in the Edit-browser just adds letterboxes.
Is there any way to crop the way I've described in the first post? Any tutorials or something that can help me here?

Marshall

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 am

I have the same question and no one has answered. Its fustrating. I have full image that I want to just crop out pixels and resize my image but the cropping tool and inspector just show the white box with white pin dots to adjust. How is actually 'applied' ???

xunile

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Marshall wrote:I have the same question and no one has answered. Its fustrating. I have full image that I want to just crop out pixels and resize my image but the cropping tool and inspector just show the white box with white pin dots to adjust. How is actually 'applied' ???

If you could provide more info about what you are trying to accomplish, it would be easier to give you an answer.
What resolution is your footage, what resolution are you wanting for your output?
Are you wanting to remove the edges of your footage but keep the same overall output resolution(1920x1080 for example)?
In the attached images, I show what the Cropping tool is used for, it adds Letterboxing. Is that what you want? If you remove the edges of say a 1920x1080 video, you either have to zoom in a little to fill the frame or use the Cropping tool to Letterbox it.
Attachments
2020-03-11.png
2020-03-11.png (999.1 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
2020-03-11 (1).png
2020-03-11 (1).png (745.49 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Dermot Shane

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 pm

on a timeline basis, sure
on a per clip basis, only by checking "export @ native"
for a timeline basis one could create a pile-0-timelines
set each one to a specfic raster
view as UHD (or what ever matches your hero mon)
then render each timeline at native raster

that creates a canvas of what ever dimensions you care to create (up to 16k i think) and only pillar / letter box's on the hero mon, will not affect output

bruce alan greene

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Therese Jaegtvik wrote:It still seems to me like the crop-function in the Edit-browser just adds letterboxes.
Is there any way to crop the way I've described in the first post? Any tutorials or something that can help me here?

Of course it does. If the clip doesn't match the aspect ratio of the timeline, then you will always have letterboxing as the timeline aspect ratio is fixed for the entire timeline. So, if you have mixed aspect ratios in a timeline, then you will always have some letterboxing.

Bernhard Hochenauer

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi i work in Film restoration as well,
what i usually do is setting up my final resolution in the master settings.
Image scaling i set to center crop with no resizing.

In output scaling i set the general size factor that fits most of my footage
In edit scaling i adjust the clips that don´t fit in the main scaling
in input scaling the color grader sets the values on a shot by shot basis, if necessary.

This has proven to be quite effective and versatile at the same time, i tend to keep different scans/materials on different layers for organizational purposes.

Return to DaVinci Resolve