QUESTION ON XML ROUND-TRIPS IN REGARDS TO AUDIO

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marshall Harrington

QUESTION ON XML ROUND-TRIPS IN REGARDS TO AUDIO

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 9:50 pm

I've not had a great deal of success with XML roundtrips in the past. The thinking was it might be due to syncing audio on waveforms with Pluraleyes. It changes the way the audio clips stack up which apparently might throw Resolve off.

But I've recently once again tried a couple of tests and it worked out really well. But difference was my audio was down to one track. While that's not ideal, it might be doable for the project I'm working on or at least doable with the workaround of pasting the other tracks into the timeline at the end of the roundtrip.

My question is will that revised audio track be replaced with the original track from the camera during the roundtrip from Premiere to Resolve then back to Premiere. If it is replaced can I simply lower the audio that I want to use to the lower track or tracks?

I know that some of you have an lot incredible amount of experience doing just this. Would sure appreciate some guidance on this.

My goal has been to ingest the footage and set color for dailies. Not perfect color but close. Then export those files to edit in Premiere where we do the edit. Once the edit's done we export it back to Resolve as an XML for detailed final grading. Then complete the XML roundtrip back to Premiere again for final edit.

It all sounds so good but having never gotten it to work, I'm leery. But my tests on the simple files have been working. But I think they are replacing the audio tracks.

Looking for a way to solve it.

Peter Cave

Re: QUESTION ON XML ROUND-TRIPS IN REGARDS TO AUDIO

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 1:22 am

I generally do not include audio in a round trip workflow. I only grade vision using a reference stereo audio track and paste the new vision over my original audio layup in Premiere.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve