10-bit DNxHD video not displaying correctly in Resolve 12.3

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David J McCormick

10-bit DNxHD video not displaying correctly in Resolve 12.3

PostSun May 22, 2016 8:11 pm

I shot some videos with a Panasonic GH4 and an Atomos Ninja 2 recorder at 1080p, 25fps 10-bit 4:2:2 DNxHD (0-255 luminance levels) its using BT.709 color space. When I import the footage into resolve, it always clips the highlights and makes the footage a bit darker. Maybe its not reading the full 0-255 levels correctly? Here is what I mean:

Original footage unedited:
UneditedDNxHD.jpg
Unedited 10-bit 4:2:2 DNxHD Video
UneditedDNxHD.jpg (734.11 KiB) Viewed 761 times

Imported into resolve. Notice the sky is clipped:
ResolveDNxHD.jpg
Video imported into Resolve DNxHD 10-bit 4:2:2
ResolveDNxHD.jpg (765.05 KiB) Viewed 761 times

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I know its not the video itself as the video looks fine when I play it in Quicktime player and import it to Sony Vegas Pro 13.

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: 10-bit DNxHD video not displaying correctly in Resolve 1

PostFri Jun 03, 2016 5:00 am

Hello, David, it is unusual for a 4:2:2 video to be Full/Data level, but of course it is different with DSLR cameras, which made possible to have 422 source to be "full swing".
If the Resolve auto level detection fails (and it might in this case) please use Clip Attributes menu available from a right-click context menu on a clip level (though you will be able to select multiple clips) in the Media Pool. There you may set your clips to be interpreted as what they are—Data Levels.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 03, 2016 1:34 pm

There seams to be some bigger issues with Resolve and DNxHD/HR as exports are also wrong, until you set Data Level in export settings.

David Williams

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 2:04 am

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Hello, David, it is unusual for a 4:2:2 video to be Full/Data level, but of course it is different with DSLR cameras, which made possible to have 422 source to be "full swing".
If the Resolve auto level detection fails (and it might in this case) please use Clip Attributes menu available from a right-click context menu on a clip level (though you will be able to select multiple clips) in the Media Pool. There you may set your clips to be interpreted as what they are—Data Levels.

It's not unusual, in fact it's the norm. I've been having to manually set data range on 10bit 422 DNXHD and Prores files since Resolve Lite came into being.

I don't know of any camera that doesn't put full range out their SDI, and of course all solid state recorders capture full range.
http://www.davidwilliams.com.au

David J McCormick

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Hello, David, it is unusual for a 4:2:2 video to be Full/Data level, but of course it is different with DSLR cameras, which made possible to have 422 source to be "full swing".

Thanks, that fixed it, I will remember that in future.

Return to DaVinci Resolve