Da vinci Resolve system requirement iMac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gonzalo Garcia

Da vinci Resolve system requirement iMac

PostThu May 26, 2016 3:56 pm

Hello, im planning to buy an 5k iMac to use Davinci resolve 12 to edit and color grade UHD and 4.6k dng files from the ursa mini 4.6k. Will 32 GB de SDRAM DDR3 , with an AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB GPU allow me to work fluently with ursa mini 4.6k footage??? Or will i have to use the AMD Radeon 4GB GPU ??

Thanks a lot¡¡¡

Donnell Henry

Re: Da vinci Resolve system requirement iMac

PostThu May 26, 2016 6:40 pm

Sorry buddy it will not allow you to work properly with 4.6k footage. Those Mobile GPUS m395 will get extremely hot causing your iMac to heat up considerably when transcoding your 4.6k footage. When editing you may be able to get decent playback at 1/4 res. You need a gpu with at least 6GB. You'll need something like a Mac Pro 8 core. And even those have issues as the graphics cards heat up considerably when rendering 4K stuff. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm trying to wait it out to see what apple does with refreshing the new Mac Pro this year. Your 5k iMac would be ideal for cutting and working with 2k footage and below.
GODS CREATE

Gonzalo Garcia

Re: Da vinci Resolve system requirement iMac

PostFri May 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Thank you very much¡

Return to DaVinci Resolve