DCP Projection_DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Beta 3

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

levisdavis

DCP Projection_DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Beta 3

PostSat Jun 04, 2016 11:34 pm

I recently made a DCP file from DaVinci Resolve 12.5. I sent the file to the local theatre to load into their projection system. The quality was top notch, but there was a DCP watermark embedded on the footage.

How do I avoid the watermark? Is there a possibility that I played back the DCP footage for too long or opened it up in another program and then caused the watermark to be permanently embedded?
Levi Davis
Professional Imagery. Simple.
azcamera.biz

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DCP Projection_DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Beta 3

PostSat Jun 04, 2016 11:47 pm

i think it's an extra license
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

levisdavis

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 12:16 am

Thanks Walter!!

Was under the impression that the theatre would already have a DCP licence, thus I wouldn't have to pay for a licence.

After your response Walter, I did some research about easyDCP licencing. It appears to be accomplished inside of DaVinci: there is an actual easyDCP menu selection under the file tab. Next, DaVinci links an HTML file directly to easyDCP's website. It may only be a matter of creating an online account with easyDCP and having easyDCP approve of the licence?
Levi Davis
azcamera.biz

levisdavis

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 9:39 am

Did some more research... Seems that there are many limitations for use of easyDCP within DaVinci. You won't know what those limitation are until you search the Internet and finally land on a random page that appears to be practically hidden on easyDCP's website; at least in my search experience.

As far as Resolve 12.5 goes, where's the warning information before rendering the files? Where's the pertinent information that tells individuals, those using easyDCP, that they are simply exporting a demo version of the file?

It's like the end-user isn't even a thought. They are certainly not being taught the difference between licence and non-licence use. Not to get too critical about my toughFAIL, but there are a lot of restrictions placed upon the demo.

All things considered, is it even a demo version? DaVinci doesn't even specifically state easyDCP demo when choosing to export. There's no mention of this in the menu structure either. Where is the icon stating whether or not the version is a demo?

In conclusion, there are multiple limiting factors here for the end-user. I get that it's great to have the ability to ingest DCP footage, thanks easyDCP and Resolve... Certainly a value-added feature set and necessary for cinema projection within DaVinci. However, I presume to say that easyDCP / DaVinci Resolve is not aligned with the end-user in mind.

From my point of view, why would the end-user send an easyDCP to a local theatre in Scottsdale, AZ? Critically speaking, there is a complete breakdown in the ability of a large theatre company to display easyDCP files due to embedded watermarks.

Even now, I still wonder how the entire easyDCP process works? Is it a "watch" built into the file for the end-user to supply a JPEG 2000 that enables playback for a limited time; licence required?

... Probably just a big-ole never mind, right?
Levi Davis
azcamera.biz

Scott Heysen

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 3:58 am

EasyDCP costs more than 5 times the cost of Resolve Studio. The easyDCP plug-in that comes with Resolve is a Demo and the Resolve manual explains this. You misunderstand how the system works. If you had paid the big Euros (a few thousand) you can turn the Demo into the real deal so that no watermarking is applied. You should also notice that Resolve will playback a DCP for up to 30 seconds before it mutes the sound and pixelates the picture, but again, if you have the licence, Resolve will play the DCP as well as any cinema given a strong computer and fast dives.
iMacPro 10core, 32GB, 2TB, Vega64 - 12.6.5
16" MacBookPro, 10core M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB - 13.4
14" MacBookPro, M2, 10core, 16GB, 512GB - 13.4
Various Pegasus RAIDs

Return to DaVinci Resolve