Please add Magnetic Arrow tool

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

Please add Magnetic Arrow tool

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 12:48 am

This is a tool I kind of need from DaVinci, and something I hope they'll add for version 3 (or if it's already in 2.5, please let me know). I need some kind of Magnetic tool that doesn't eat my current edit up, and allows me to push what I've done away. It's because I don't have that tool that I don't consider DaVinci good for "re-editing".

I've recorded both in Final Cut and DaVinci to show what I mean. You can see in Final Cut, when I add to what I already edited, I have a tool that can just push my edit back to make room, instead of eating the current edit. But in DaVinci, both tool just eat it. Sometimes it might not matter, and it's a matter of just tweaking it. But if the clips were shorter, it might just delete a clip I already have. Or Instead of just minor tweaks, I got to move around the clips too much to make up for the drastic change. So please Blackmagic, add some kind of Magnetic arrow tool of some kind that does what I need.

John Paines

Re: Please add Magnetic Arrow tool

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 1:04 am

Are you asking for an "insert" edit?!? Try one of the following:

-- right click the clip in the media browser and select "insert selected clips to the timeline"
-- drag the clip into the timeline viewer and drop it on "insert"
-- load the clip into the source viewer and hit F9.

All of the above assume the timeline playhead is where you want the insert to occur.

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 am

John Paines wrote:Are you asking for an "insert" edit?!? Try one of the following:

-- right click the clip in the media browser and select "insert selected clips to the timeline"

All of the above assume the timeline playhead is where you want the insert to occur.

Seems more work then just drag and drop though if that's the case. Which again, why I'd want one of those tools like the arrow to have it.

The first one worked as you said, the second not too sure about what you mean by "drop it on insert".

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out. Still again would prefer a more drag and drop style with one of the tools, but at least there's a work around. Thanks.

John Paines

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 2:01 am

To be consistent, it seems to me that a drag to the timeline should default to insert when in Trim mode and overwrite when in selection mode.

Plus, a way to modify the drag so that it does the opposite of whatever the mode would dictate.

Someday....

Mohammad Alkazemi

PostSun Jun 05, 2016 7:32 pm

John Paines wrote:To be consistent, it seems to me that a drag to the timeline should default to insert when in Trim mode and overwrite when in selection mode.

Plus, a way to modify the drag so that it does the opposite of whatever the mode would dictate.

Someday....

I second that.

Tyson J. Grubb

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 12:12 am

+1. This drove me nuts from Avid and Premiere. Finally figured out that you had to drag to the Program viewer instead, but just wish you could drag to the timeline and hold down a modifier key like every other NLE.

Peter Cave

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 6:56 am

Chris Chiasson wrote:
John Paines wrote:Are you asking for an "insert" edit?!? Try one of the following:

Seems more work then just drag and drop though if that's the case. Which again, why I'd want one of those tools like the arrow to have it.

The first one worked as you said, the second not too sure about what you mean by "drop it on insert".

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out. Still again would prefer a more drag and drop style with one of the tools, but at least there's a work around. Thanks.

Drag and drop is the SLOWEST way to edit. Once you develop a keyboard editing technique you will be surprised how easy and fast it is.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

John Paines

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 11:30 am

Peter Cave wrote:Drag and drop is the SLOWEST way to edit. Once you develop a keyboard editing technique you will be surprised how easy and fast it is.

But in most cases you still need the mouse, so you might as well drag and drop, which also eliminates the need to position the timeline playhead before you begin.

David Mathis

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 4:53 pm

I wish Resolve would have organizing options that FCP X has. I can live with tracks but bins just seem so last century to me. :ugeek:

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 1:13 am

David, have a look into the detail of smart bins.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 11:29 am

In case anyone else didn't realize this (I didn't) -- you can add clips to the timeline directly from the media browser using the same function keys which work in the source viewer.

So, if you select a clip in the browser, F9 will insert it in the timeline at the playhead position.

David Mathis

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Peter,

I will look into smart bins. Just started some Resolve training and really starting to know the software more.

Return to DaVinci Resolve