Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Adam Simmons

  • Posts: 5510
  • Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Location: UK

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 12:34 pm

His M.2 goes through the chipset not the CPU so it won't impact on the 16 bus lanes used by the GPU
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years
Offline

Markus Scholz

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:54 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 12:47 pm

ok, if it is so.. then good.
but again with the x99 platform you can do future upgrades a lot better
Offline

Adam Simmons

  • Posts: 5510
  • Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Location: UK

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 12:53 pm

I totally agree, we use that motherboard all the time and I should be getting a TB 3 to TB 2 convertor in on Monday to test out BM TB 2 devices on it
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years
Offline
User avatar

Jean Claude

  • Posts: 2973
  • Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm
  • Location: France
  • Warnings: 1

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Is someone measuring the difference in outcome between installed on the same motherboard, same GPUs (By modifying the bios) :
2 GPU PCIe gen 3 8X and 2 GPU PCIe gen 3 16X?

According to tests in SLI (therefore not valid for Davinci Resolve) it would only 3-5%.
thank you in advance.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:the Z820 would be a better choice as it has PCI-e 3 and uses SATA III (6Gb/s) and can take the faster 2011 pin E5-26xx V2 CPU's, has a much faster SAS controller and has the ability to add in Thunderbolt 2 using an optional card, unlike the Z800 which uses the much slower PCI-e 2, SATA II (3Gb/s) and uses the older and slower 1366 pin 55xx range and a much slower SAS controller


Thanks for that. As a longtime iMac user it's sometimes hard to get my head around all the jargon of a PC, time to "open the hood" again and get under there. I appreciate the explanation.

So, I just bought a z820, but the CPU and Graphics card need to be updated.

So, similar to the OP, does anyone have any recommendations what new, but good price-performance-value-components I should put in there for 4K editing? I'd love to install a GTX1080 or 1070, but expect they might be hard to get for a few weeks.

Also, Thunderbolt is mentioned often. What's the big 4K editing payoff regarding that? The ability to make fast external storage set-ups?
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 7:26 pm

I agree, the 1080 will be hard to source for the next couple of weeks unless you are open to price gouging. Also not sure if the 1080 FTW flavor will provide any kind of meaningful increase over the stock 1080 in a Resolve environment.

The 1080 Ti at a rumored 12GB is certainly worth waiting for, as is obviously the next gen Pascal-based TITAN at a rumored 24GB. Resolve is all about the GPU and VRAM -- so the new TITAN will probably represent Resolve nirvana -- at least until the next generation technology is released, at which point we'll wonder how we ever used Pascal-based cards.

The internal vs. external video interface decision will play a big role in how the Z820 is configured. I believe HP has not yet released a Z-series TB3 card -- so you're currently limited to TB2. That would still allow you to use an external UltraStudio interface, as opposed to an internal DeckLink card (although the new UltraStudio Extreme is TB3-based). Alternatively, you could use the TB2 as an external storage solution.

Be forewarned that HP Workstations configured with multiple GPUs can sometimes block the PCIe slot that the TB card must be installed in. For example, in the Z820, the TB card must be installed in PCIe Slot 5.

Now, that might not be a big problem if you are going with an an external TB-based video interface. However, as you can see in the Table 1: I/O Slot Recommended Load Order, if you have dual GPUs and an internal video adapter that must be installed in a x16 slot, then slot 5 will likely be blocked.

I would strongly recommend you research your video interface requirements, your intended GPU choices, how others are currently configuring their Z820s -- and, although long in the tooth, the Z820 Configuration Guide on page 17 of the 2014 DaVinci Resolve Windows Conguration Guide.

Even though I own (and am anecdotally selling) an HP TB2 card, as you can see from my signature, my goal was to achieve maximum GPU performance, maximum video interface performance, and maximum media storage 'read' performance -- without using an expansion chassis. To accomplish this, I needed to walk away from TB.

Lastly, there is one interesting accessory that might represent a solution if you get into a PCIe slot bind. You would need to research this very carefully, but HP manufactures the highest quality PCIe slot extension cables. Using one of these under one of the blocked PCIe slots in your Z820 might allow you to add a card that would otherwise not be physically possible. However, you would need to make sure there is enough clearance for the extension cable -- as well as consider the implications that the card you add will need to sit loosely within the computer and will not have backplane access.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Blake LaFarm wrote:You would need to research this very carefully...


Aw man, I haven't been a PC nerd in decades. There's a reason creatives like turnkey solutions; looks like I got to get back into the spec soup!

But seriously, thanks for all that advice. It's awesome. So, from what I'm sussing out, Thunderbolt is nice, but certainly not a requirement. Seems like it's more for the realm of folks that are doing the high end raw stuff, correct?

After all, my end game is this: I'm personally looking to edit mp4 4k source files from the GH4 and cut 25 minute documentaries; some modest color grading on the finishing. That's the main goal right now. It's doesn't seem like heavy lifting, but I do want to ask advice from folks that understand this stuff better than I.

How does a smartly configured Resolve handle editing tasks with mp4 4K? Does it bog down? I know my old iMac struggles to play even a SD mp4 file in FCP.
Offline

Dermot Shane

  • Posts: 1936
  • Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:48 pm
  • Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 9:09 pm

no need for Tb in my workflow,

i use DELL Perc800 SAS cpntrolers + DELL MD1200 disk arrays, my normal workflow is to media manage the camera orignals to a NAS, then render source caches on my local array and work from those, always haveing the camera orignal media to turn back to should i need to change debayer settings, and to export the masters from.

this probbaly come from using software that caches very elegantly (Nucoda and DS), and tending to use Resolve in the manner i am used to, it's cache system is rudementary and some what buggy, but ultimatly usefull

i have delivered two feature films, and a short film from Resolve 12.5 in the last few weeks, all at 4k, machines ran like champs, no issues with producer attended screenings and tweak days..
Last edited by Dermot Shane on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 9:10 pm

HarveyMatthew wrote:There's a reason creatives like turnkey solutions; looks like I got to get back into the spec soup!

There's an argument to be made that you are far better off having a very well-rounded understanding of computing platforms you are using.
HarveyMatthew wrote:So, from what I'm sussing out, Thunderbolt is nice, but certainly not a requirement. Seems like it's more for the realm of folks that are doing the high end raw stuff, correct?

Yes, unless you are wedded to the notion of using an external video adapter, I personally don't view TB as being a requirement. However, your use case may differ from mine.

And no, I don't think there is a relationship between TB and high-end work. Frankly, I'd gamble that the vast majority of really high-end work is probably being done with PCIe-based DeckLink cards.

For the record, here are the bandwidth specifications for TB2, TB3, PCIe Gen2, and PCIe Gen3:

Thunderbolt 2 has a peak bandwidth of 20 Gb/s
Thunderbolt 3 has a peak bandwidth of 40Gb/s
PCIe Gen2 x16 has a peak bi-directional bandwidth of 16GB/s
PCIe Gen3 x16 has a peak bi-directional bandwidth of 32GB/s

So if you were doing massively bandwidth-intensive work, which interface would you use?
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 9:24 pm

HarveyMatthew wrote:How does a smartly configured Resolve handle editing tasks with mp4 4K?

Allow me to also suggest that editing your programs in Resolve using your native .mp4 camera files is a non-starter. You will be much better served if you transcode, optimize or source cache your camera files (per Dermot's suggestion) to an edit friendly codec. In my personal opinion, if you are able to use a high enough quality mezzanine format, there will likely be no need to return to the original camera files. Others may disagree with this assertion.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Blake LaFarm wrote:if you were doing massively bandwidth-intensive work, which interface would you use?


Luckily, I'm not really doing bandwidth intense work. And it seems like the HP z820 I'm getting has enough pipeline to handle anything I may decide to throw at it in the future. I'll put a GTX 1070 in there when I can get one for MSRP and I think I'll be running smooth-ish.

So that's good news.

As for tech stuff, I can get my head around the wonky PC innards without too much trouble, it just doesn't get me excited like it does for some folks. I just want to edit, you know?

Anyway, since I'm a newnie to Resolve I better figure out a proper workflow/setup, regardless.
Last edited by HarveyMatthew on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Blake LaFarm wrote:You will be much better served if you transcode, optimize or source cache your camera files (per Dermot's suggestion)


Indeed. As I say, I'm a Resolve newb, but seems like Resolve does the "optimize" thing rather easily, correct? Still, theoretically, wouldn't the GTX1080 with a juicy enough CPU push enough pixels to allow source-file editing?

At this point my assumption is that I'll do everything in low rez and then turn 4K on for the output.
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 6:37 am

Dermot Shane wrote:my normal workflow is to media manage the camera orignals to a NAS, then render source caches on my local array and work from those, always haveing the camera orignal media to turn back to should i need to change debayer settings, and to export the masters from.


This sounds exactly like what I'm aiming for. Would you mind sharing the NAS solution that's been successful for you?
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 5:37 pm

HarveyMatthew wrote:
Blake LaFarm wrote:Still, theoretically, wouldn't the GTX1080 with a juicy enough CPU push enough pixels to allow source-file editing?


If you are talking about using your original, Long GoP, .mp4 camera files -- the answer is no. Is it physically possible? Yes. However, you will absolutely not enjoy the editing process (and that's the case even with dual TITAN X cards).

Different NLE applications have widely-varying abilities to gracefully handle playing, scrubbing and editing .mp4 files. Without listing the performance metrics of each application, it is safe to say that this is not what Resolve is optimized for. One way or the other, your workflow will likely have you transcoding, optimizing or caching your source files.

Lastly, take a good look at Synology for your NAS requirements. Hard to go wrong there.


Edit: Fixed Typo and added Synology reference.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7167
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 5:53 pm

for NAS I think we use isilon form emc2 technology...

http://www.emc-technology.com/storage/isilon-scale-out-nas/big-data.htm
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

wolfgang hershey

  • Posts: 139
  • Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:41 am
  • Location: chinatowns everywhere

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Just to add to the net side of the convo

I'm at the low end $$ wise ( I'm using a 4,1 mac cheese grater)
and I'm NOT in a shared environment - so 'safe' multi user file sharing is not part of my system

But I'm getting very good results from a Synology 2015xs
with 10Gb Ethernet over direct SFP+ (Myricom interface cards - direct! with no switch)
(400Mbs writes and 550Mbs reads)

for sure I'm not maxing out the system
but it's plenty for what I do
happy with lots of TB and very low latency
(pssst don't tell Bob Zelin... 'Oh, ahh, Hi Bob!')

and while I'm on a mac
I'm pretty sure my set up would be a good performer for a single workstation windows system
imac/hackintosh 14,2 (4-core 4.0 GHz i7) - 32GB - 980Ti
OS X 10.13.6 / 15.3 Resolve Studio - DeckLink Studio 4k
10Gb ethernet network
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Blake LaFarm wrote:If you are talking about using your original, Long GoP, .mp4 camera files -- the answer is no.


Thanks. That's what I was wondering while failing to articulate it well.
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 12:43 am

I'd also like to request y'all's expertise regarding CPU. The z820 I bought might need an update of the CPU's. Right now it's 2x Intel Xeon E5-2660 2.2GHz Eight Core CPU's. With a budget of $500-$700, what would be a smart CPU(s) purchase --in the context of working well with Resolve?
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 8:26 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:buy a used hp z800, slap the 1080 and go to town


I referenced a recent Resolve configuration guide wherein they have a z820 configuration specifically. In that manual they recommend that if there are two display cards installed they should be identical cards.

Can you (or anyone) confirm or deny this recommendation? Or, conversely, if there's a, say, old Quadro 600 and a GTX1080, would that cause some issues?

Thanks for your insight, btw.
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7167
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 8:35 pm

HarveyMatthew wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:buy a used hp z800, slap the 1080 and go to town


I referenced a recent Resolve configuration guide wherein they have a z820 configuration specifically. In that manual they recommend that if there are two display cards installed they should be identical cards.

Can you (or anyone) confirm or deny this recommendation? Or, conversely, if there's a, say, old Quadro 600 and a GTX1080, would that cause some issues?

Thanks for your insight, btw.


you can freely use the installed gpu for video gui only and put 1-2 extra gpu for computation: those have to he twin.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5801
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Blake LaFarm wrote:
HarveyMatthew wrote:
For the record, here are the bandwidth specifications for TB2, TB3, PCIe Gen2, and PCIe Gen3:

Thunderbolt 2 has a peak bandwidth of 20 Gb/s
Thunderbolt 3 has a peak bandwidth of 40Gb/s
PCIe Gen2 x16 has a peak bi-directional bandwidth of 16GB/s
PCIe Gen3 x16 has a peak bi-directional bandwidth of 32GB/s

So if you were doing massively bandwidth-intensive work, which interface would you use?


Just be be clear and make you message more pronounce: TB3 is 40Gbit/s and PCI-e Gen3 x16 is 32GByte/s, so 256Gbit/s.

Another thing.
TB3 may have peak at 40Gbits, but data bus goes over PCI-e Gen3 x4, so this is 32Gbits (-1.5% overhead), so about 3.94GBytes/sec. This means when we talk about connecting external GPU it won't have 40Gbit, but rather 32Gbit, as this data have to go over data bus (not over Display Port channels).

There are no tests so far how much TB3 may limit GPU due to still relatively low bandwidth, but older test for gaming show that PCI-e Gen3 x4 wasn't limiting performance in games much at all. This may not be so true for other usage, like Resolve, as data has to travel more from GPU to CPU.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5801
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 9:42 pm

wolfgang hershey wrote:Just to add to the net side of the convo

I'm at the low end $$ wise ( I'm using a 4,1 mac cheese grater)
and I'm NOT in a shared environment - so 'safe' multi user file sharing is not part of my system

But I'm getting very good results from a Synology 2015xs
with 10Gb Ethernet over direct SFP+ (Myricom interface cards - direct! with no switch)
(400Mbs writes and 550Mbs reads)

for sure I'm not maxing out the system
but it's plenty for what I do
happy with lots of TB and very low latency
(pssst don't tell Bob Zelin... 'Oh, ahh, Hi Bob!')

and while I'm on a mac
I'm pretty sure my set up would be a good performer for a single workstation windows system


Problem with 10Gbit ethernet is latency. If you work with image sequences this may show up. Something like TB2 will be way better.

I've built recently storage with 10Gbit link and speed is close to 1Gbyte/sec, but this is still not as responsive as e.g. fibre connection or TB. It's down to the protocol and ethernet is very "old" and inefficient the it comes to passing/accessing such data.
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 10:36 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Just be be clear and make you message more pronounce: TB3 is 40Gbit/s and PCI-e Gen3 x16 is 32GByte/s, so 256Gbit/s.
I had assumed that the 'audience' understood the implicit difference between a bit (1) and a byte (8). However, it certainly can't hurt to equalize the measurements using a common metric.

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:There are no tests so far how much TB3 may limit GPU due to still relatively low bandwidth, but older test for gaming show that PCI-e Gen3 x4 wasn't limiting performance in games much at all.
I don't think it is advisable to use an external enclosure connected via TB for GPU acceleration. PCIe-based external enclosures seem to be the norm.

This is an interesting thread about that topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46486
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 11:14 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:You can freely use the installed gpu for video gui only and put 1-2 extra gpu for computation: those have to be twins.


Ah, interesting, and thanks for the info. So, installing a pair of 1080's would actually be viable?
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 11:21 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I've built recently storage with 10Gbit link and speed is close to 1Gbyte/sec, but this is still not as responsive as e.g. fibre connection or TB. It's down to the protocol and ethernet is very "old" and inefficient the it comes to passing/accessing such data.


Please correct me if I'm way off base here, but, in theory, isn't it possible to store source 4K camera source files on a NAS, allow Resolve to build the low-res optimize files on a workstation's local drive, and then edit away without a problem?

This way you could even have two workstations working with the same 4K footage, correct?
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5801
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 11:22 pm

I don't think it is advisable to use an external enclosure connected via TB for GPU acceleration. PCIe-based external enclosures seem to be the norm.

This is an interesting thread about that topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46486


Why not? TB=PCI-e in terms of protocol, so if bandwidth is not an issue than this can be very handy, specially for some mobile solutions.
With TB3 this is an official feature and products are coming.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5801
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 11:25 pm

HarveyMatthew wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I've built recently storage with 10Gbit link and speed is close to 1Gbyte/sec, but this is still not as responsive as e.g. fibre connection or TB. It's down to the protocol and ethernet is very "old" and inefficient the it comes to passing/accessing such data.


Please correct me if I'm way off base here, but, in theory, isn't it possible to store source 4K camera source files on a NAS, allow Resolve to build the low-res optimize files on a workstation's local drive, and then edit away without a problem?

This way you could even have two workstations working with the same 4K footage, correct?


Yes, you can do it this way.
Offline

HarveyMatthew

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 11:58 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Yes, you can do it this way.


Thanks. I guess it also stands to reason that since the optimized clips (which are at a lower resolution and need less "oomph" bandwidth to work with) could also just live on the NAS and things would cut just fine? No need for those files to be local either, right?
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 12:23 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
I don't think it is advisable to use an external enclosure connected via TB for GPU acceleration.


Why not? TB=PCI-e in terms of protocol, so if bandwidth is not an issue than this can be very handy, specially for some mobile solutions.
With TB3 this is an official feature and products are coming.
If bandwidth is NOT an issue, then TB is not a problem. However, GPU acceleration is extremely bandwidth sensitive, and I was specifically referencing using an external enclosure for GPU acceleration in my comment.

Take a look at Page 57 of the Resolve Hardware Selection and Configuration Guide.

"At this time there are no Thunderbolt expanders certified for use with GPUs however you can use a Thunderbolt expander for a fibre channel adapter, storage interface or raid controller or a Red Rocket or Rocket X card."
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 12:41 am

HarveyMatthew wrote:Thanks. I guess it also stands to reason that since the optimized clips (which are at a lower resolution and need less "oomph" bandwidth to work with) could also just live on the NAS and things would cut just fine? No need for those files to be local either, right?
Your ability (or not) to stream your lower-resolution, "optimized" source material over a network from a NAS will be entirely dependent on:

1. The exact codec/bitrate (bandwidth requirements) of your optimized media
2. The read speed of the drives in your NAS, which is also related to the RAID type (O, 1, 5)
3. The overall speed of your network topology, including the NAS, switch, wiring and computer

At the end of the day, it's a workflow question -- as well as a question of priorities. Your most seamless editing experience will probably not come from sourcing your media from a lower-price NAS, with mechanical drives in configured in RAID5, and with the data transmitted over Gigabit Ethernet.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5801
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 10:38 am

Blake LaFarm wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
I don't think it is advisable to use an external enclosure connected via TB for GPU acceleration.


Why not? TB=PCI-e in terms of protocol, so if bandwidth is not an issue than this can be very handy, specially for some mobile solutions.
With TB3 this is an official feature and products are coming.
If bandwidth is NOT an issue, then TB is not a problem. However, GPU acceleration is extremely bandwidth sensitive, and I was specifically referencing using an external enclosure for GPU acceleration in my comment.

Take a look at Page 57 of the Resolve Hardware Selection and Configuration Guide.

"At this time there are no Thunderbolt expanders certified for use with GPUs however you can use a Thunderbolt expander for a fibre channel adapter, storage interface or raid controller or a Red Rocket or Rocket X card."


Yes, but this was written before TB3.
TB3 is no near PCI-e x16 speed, but it has 2x more bandwidth than TB2 and external GPUs are officially supported.
For HD frames there should be no real world penalty.

When you move to UHD frames than this may have very visible hit:

4 channels (RGBA) of 32bit float data (UHD 30fps):

4*32*3840*2160*30=31.8Gbit/sec

so this is already on the edge of TB3 data bus bandwidth. This means you can push UHD 30fps at the best around realtime. I'm not programmer or GPU expert, so this may not be 100% correct (but should be enough to give some idea about possible limitations).
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5801
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 10:53 am

HarveyMatthew wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Yes, you can do it this way.


Thanks. I guess it also stands to reason that since the optimized clips (which are at a lower resolution and need less "oomph" bandwidth to work with) could also just live on the NAS and things would cut just fine? No need for those files to be local either, right?


Well if you wan to work with some proxy than yes, you can use about any external solution, including USB3.
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7167
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 3:32 pm

HarveyMatthew wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:You can freely use the installed gpu for video gui only and put 1-2 extra gpu for computation: those have to be twins.


Ah, interesting, and thanks for the info. So, installing a pair of 1080's would actually be viable?


Yes, is more than viable.

twin for the win
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Blake LaFarm

  • Posts: 224
  • Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 pm

@HarveyMatthew

I think you might find this article to be relevant to your goals:

All you need to know about Caching in DaVinci Resolve 12
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Offline

Rolfe Klement

  • Posts: 194
  • Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Re: Building a sub $2000 Nvidia GTX1080 PC system

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Has someone done benchmarks with resolve both in raw and prores and h264. From what I hear the more CPU cores the better. Would be awesome if someone did this... Nudge ;-)
Intel i7 7820HK 2.9GHz RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home V1803 64Bit
2 x 2 TB NVME Samsung Pro
GTX 1080
www.creativesunshine.com
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jeremy, Sebastian Riemichen and 45 guests