Are today recomended 64gb of ram for 4K raw?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
Alonzo Chiavone

Are today recomended 64gb of ram for 4K raw?

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 11:52 am

I'm building a new x99 config for a windows pc. I need to understand how much ram should I get because I'm reading topics/forum/articles/guides and if someone say 32gb is recommended someone else say 32 in the minimum and I should go for 64gb. I need to edit and color 4K raw video for movies I can't know yet if 10, 12 or 16bit.

I could buy 2x16gb now and wait to see if I need the other 2. But if then I will not need them I will lost the quad channel speed of my x99 system and this is very bad. So I wish to be sure of what I need before I buy. If 64gb of ram is not really needed I will save money for the GPU. My budget is tight.

Thx a lot!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Are today recomended 64gb of ram for 4K raw?

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 1:22 am

Resolve works well with 16GB and its ok to have 32GB for some flexibility with other apps. If you have a lot of other apps open at the same time you might consider more RAM but I would suggest a better GPU is more important than the extra RAM.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve