LSD renders

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dermot Shane

LSD renders

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 4:53 am

- project is UHD, 23.98, 1x 30 sec and 1x60 sec spots, YRGB

- machine is a z800/k2200/96gig/SAS array/w7Ultimate/12.5.b34

- sources are R3D's on a HFS drive... looooooong takes

- workflow was to conform a Pr XML on a z800, move the DRP and source media drive to a z820, source cache, grade, and move the new DRP + media drive back to the z800 for outputting a Pr round trip

- I avoided my NAS in this case as the project was supposed to be in and out in a few hours, and media manageing 380gig of source media needed to my NAS was going to take too long, seemed to be kinda overkill

- render settings were force debayer to highest, not to use caches, this is typical of my workflow, and i have output a fair amount of shows in the last months on 12.5 b.x without issues on this machine

- when i started the render the first 12 clips worked perfectly, and then the software hung, "time to complete" kept creeping up and there was no movement in taskmanager and the local disk array was silent

- killed Resolve in taskmanager, and restarted, when i selected the last two shots to render seperatly i saw the following;
lsd render.00086400 copy.jpg
lsd render.00086400 copy.jpg (297.63 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

(there's a normal looking talking head underneath that gak btw..)

- this wacko look displayed identicaly on my broadcast mon and external scopes.

- after several attempts to render it seems that it is independant of the target codec/file type, independant of the timeline raster.

- but here's the weird thing.. the outputs are completly fine when checked in either a new Resolve project or in MC, it's only (only?) the monitoring that seems to be massivly screwed up

- the GPU. although a bit wimpy is not over heating, and even seems not to be using all it's limited cuda cores or RAM, the CPU's are not working all that hard either, there's some OFX in some of the shots, but deleting them made no diffrence.

Roel Videler

Re: LSD renders

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 am

Hi Dermot,

I've had some really weird artifacts myself while using a defective Decklink card. It's my belief (but anyone actually on the Dev side, correct me if I'm wrong) that the video actually goes through your interface before ending up on the GUI. This might not be the case for renders which is why they would be fine. I'd suggest the following:

Go to the Resolve Preferences and disable the monitoring outputs entirely in Video I/O (i.e. for capture and playback use None). See if that fixes your problem. If it does, try updating desktop video drivers, reseating your decklink/intensity card/cable. If it doesn't, make sure all your video card and cuda drivers are up to date.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17
HP Z640, Mini Panel, Windows 10 Pro x64, 2x Intel E5-26something, 64GB, Mini Monitor 4K, GTX1080Ti

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 1:37 am

Dermot, it may not make a difference, but try using the release version of Resolve 12.5 (no longer b3) and see if that changes anything.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 6:23 am

Thanks Roel, thanks Marc!

i opened up the machine a few days ago to look at the power connectors, to see i could install a 1080 in it - it's been a few years since i had to open up the door and been so long i had forgotten what's inside!

i might have shaken the BMD I/o card, don't think so, but it's worth pulling it out of the racks agian and re-seating everything, and installing the 12.5 release at the same time

i output a episode of a TV series today from that machine with zero hassle, overnight and for the next day or so it's media manageing another feature.. that old z800 works hard...

prolly de-rack it and install 12.5 and the 1080 (if i can get it delivered in time) over the weekend

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 10:48 am

I'm seriously considering getting a z820 or z840 myself later on this year, assuming I jump into the deep end and switch to Windows. Let me know how that goes for you.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 3:37 pm

output a show at 2k lastnight from that machine, Alexa 2kish ProRez sources, (this time on the NAS) going to TIFF16bit DCi2Kscope ... no issues,

the LSD screen seems to have been a one-off, and did not affect the renders - they are on air now

the issue maybe due to sourceing the media from a USB drive and going through an HFS translator on the way.. that's really not my normal workflow, but with 380 gigs of sources to make 1 x 60 sec + a 30 sec cutdown... not to many other choices given the time frame to deliver the master

The z800 is a champ, runs day in/day out, will get a new GPU soon - but other than adding new stuff i never need to open the machine's door

and the z820 is every bit a s good, very stable, and within the workflow i prefer (source cache everything, smart cache everything) it keeps up with anything i ask of it, no idea where it's limits are, i have not found them...

JPOwens

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 4:28 am

Dermot Shane wrote:the LSD screen seems to have been a one-off

A relief, no doubt... the semi-random scatter image is something that used to come out of SHAKE when Apple in their infinite wisdom flipped the MSB/LSB (like Big/Little-Endian-ness) in some quicktime codecs. Still see it from time to time in bizarre circumstances, like where an alpha-multiplied matte is supposed to be, there will be this hash.

jPo

Return to DaVinci Resolve