Cache problems in AAF timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Roman Hankewycz

Cache problems in AAF timeline?

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi guys,
I'm experiencing bad playback on cached shots and I can't figure out why.

This is a Resolve 12 project and I'm doing an Avid roundtrip so the timeline was made by importing an AAF from Avid and linking to source media which consists of Prores4444 and Prores422 with resolutions of 1920x1080 and 2048x1152. Nothing crazy.

I have a few shots that need extra help because of NR and such, but when I cache the shots the playback gets worse. I've tried various cache codecs, and I tried sending my caches to different volumes with no improvement.

As a test I cached a shot with no playback issues and once cached the shot started having playback problems.

Finally, I created a new timeline in my project (so instead of being created via AAF, this new timeline is "fresh"). I copied my problem shot into this new timeline, cached it and it plays back fine. Is it possible that there is something with the AAF/round-trip system that may be interfering with caching? Is this a known issue?

Thank you for your input.
roman hankewycz / / colorist
H A R B O R
www.harborpicturecompany.com

John Paines

Re: Cache problems in AAF timeline?

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 3:51 pm

The fact that the cached clips play in a newly created timeline suggests that maybe there's a mismatch somewhere between the AAF-created timeline resolution, the monitoring resolution and the resolution setting of the cached clips....

What happens when you copy the contents of the AAF timeline into the new timeline?

Return to DaVinci Resolve