Denoiser / Noise Reduction in Resove

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Moore

Denoiser / Noise Reduction in Resove

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Because the ursa mini 4k ISO 800 its still unusuable in the low light i must to denoise the pictures in DaVinci Resolve. But if i push spatial NR luma more that 10, the pictures have a plastick look. How you denoise a movie in Da Vinci Resove but preserve the cinematic look? Can tell me your secret step by step?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Denoiser / Noise Reduction in Resove

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 3:56 pm

real men don't use denoise.

find the comfortable setting you can tolerate, then set it to half of that value and add just a tiny tiny grain back.

"filmic" look has grain.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Alex Uzan

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 4:23 pm

Neat video plugins is probably the better option.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 am

Are you using v12.5 as the NR is much better.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 4:07 am

Michael Moore wrote:Because the ursa mini 4k ISO 800 its still unusuable in the low light i must to denoise the pictures in DaVinci Resolve. But if i push spatial NR luma more that 10, the pictures have a plastick look. How you denoise a movie in Da Vinci Resove but preserve the cinematic look? Can tell me your secret step by step?

Temporal NR will often give you better results than Spatial, particularly if you have to push it hard.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Michael Moore

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Are you using v12.5 as the NR is much better.

Yes Peter, I use Resove 12.5 Studio. Its a realy emprovement, but not enough for ursa mini 4K isues with FPN and flickering...I am thinking if the magic solution from Blackmagic is to emprove the DaVinci Resolve denoiser or to fix the sensor 4K isues with a new firmware...What you say?

Michael Moore

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 10:17 am

Help me please! Can somebody tell me why DaVinci Studio 12.5 show me the movie with extra many noise that in reality? When i play the movie with quick time, vlc, media playe,r the movie have just little noise. In Premiere CC 2015 the movie its like in reality with very little noise. Just in DaVinci the movie have very much noise. What its wrong with my DaVinci 12.5? This issues its annoying because i can't make a right denoise in this condition.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 10:36 am

Do you have a proper monitor?
Yo can't judge the picture on the computer screen!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Michael Moore

PostSat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Do you have a proper monitor?
Yo can't judge the picture on the computer screen!

I use a UHD Dell professional monitor. But it is not relevant for my problem beacause i use the same monitor and PC when i play from quick time, vlc, media player or Premiere 2015 CC. So, another idea?

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 03, 2016 1:32 am

Michael Moore wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:I use a UHD Dell professional monitor. But it is not relevant for my problem beacause i use the same monitor and PC when i play from quick time, vlc, media player or Premiere 2015 CC. So, another idea?

Don't use a Dell display. Use a calibrated display optimized for Rec709, particularly one with no added enhancement, showing you true 10-bit (or better) performance. If you don't do that, you'll have no real idea what you're dealing with; an uncalibrated computer display could be exaggerating real problems, or they could be covering up serious issues. What you want is for the monitor to tell you the truth. A Dell monitor is not going to do this.

Michael Moore

PostSun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 pm

Marc Wielage wrote: Use a calibrated display optimized for Rec709, particularly one with no added enhancement, showing you true 10-bit (or better) performance. If you don't do that, you'll have no real idea what you're dealing with; an uncalibrated computer display could be exaggerating real problems, or they could be covering up serious issues. What you want is for the monitor to tell you the truth. A Dell monitor is not going to do this.

Thanks Marc for your advise. But i dont understand yet how its possible the same monitor to show me the movie without noise when i use Premiere CC 2015, Quick time player, VLC player, Windows Media player and with noise just when i use DaVinci Resolve 12.5. You dont think that its a wrong settings or another problem with my DaVinci? An uncalibrate monitor can exaggerating the colour... but to introduce noise? Supose my Dell monitor is uncalibrate, then why dont affect all programs and not just DaVinci?

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 4:45 am

Michael Moore wrote:An uncalibrate monitor can exaggerating the colour... but to introduce noise? Supose my Dell monitor is uncalibrate, then why dont affect all programs and not just DaVinci?

Noise can always be exaggerated in bad monitors. If the monitor is not calibrated, you have no idea what you're looking at.

I have also seen cases where the monitor covered up noise, so we didn't really know there was a problem until much later on in the post process. So that can happen, too.

Michael Moore

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 9:18 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Noise can always be exaggerated in bad monitors. If the monitor is not calibrated, you have no idea what you're looking at.

I have also seen cases where the monitor covered up noise, so we didn't really know there was a problem until much later on in the post process. So that can happen, too.

Marc, i understand your point of view. But you dont answer me at my question: why just DaVinci Resolve see this noise and all programs that i have used dont see this noise? Why in DaVinci Resolve when i stoped the movie its not noise pictures and when i played the movie its noise?

Peter Cave

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 12:51 pm

Can you post a link to a short clip of the problem footage? Then we may be able to help.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Blake LaFarm

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Could the issue be that your Resolve Gamma settings are lifting the blacks, as compared to the media players you listed, and consequently you are seeing more noise?

Check out your settings at: Project Settings > Color Management > Color Management Settings > Timeline Color Space.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803

Michael Moore

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 10:29 pm

Peter Cave wrote:Can you post a link to a short clip of the problem footage? Then we may be able to help.

You have right! I has posted 2 pictures make it with printscreen function. One is when i play the movie and i have noise and another its when i still the movie and dont have noise. Whats wrong with my settings?
play with noise.jpg
play with noise.jpg (416.18 KiB) Viewed 6868 times

still without noise.jpg
still without noise.jpg (401.38 KiB) Viewed 6868 times

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 11:25 pm

Check your debayer settings. My guess is you are in optimize for playback mode, so it changes between stop and play mode. Use the highest quality setting always.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Michael Moore

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:Check your debayer settings. My guess is you are in optimize for playback mode, so it changes between stop and play mode. Use the highest quality setting always.

Please, can tell me step by step where i can choose this settings in menu?

Return to DaVinci Resolve