Queueing up renders of different timeline sizes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Arnold

Queueing up renders of different timeline sizes

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Hello All,

I'm trying to help some friends - who have a film scanning business - set up a workflow to use Resolve to output their scans. They need to be able to queue different sized outputs in one queue (if possible.)

For example:
1) Full raster of the scanner: 2048x1536 - this includes some of the "slop" around the edges of the frame.
2) A crop to the 4:3 image area at 1920x1080 (same source, no resizing, pillarbox blanking added in output sizing)

The problem is that the different frame size requires that the resolution be changed in Project Settings, but that doing this changes the framing of all of the timelines, even already-queued ones.

Is there any way to accomplish this in Resolve?

Thanks!
Robert

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: Queueing up renders of different timeline sizes

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello, Robert,
consider using the Resolution in the Deliver page.
Your selection will work in conjunction with the output scaling settings in the Project Settings. The Resolution settings chosen in the Deliver page Render settings are the part of the each individual job setting.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Robert Arnold

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 6:38 pm

This didn't help at first. The image always seemed to SCALE to the new resolution, until I realized I needed to change the setting in OUTPUT Scaling in the prefs (instead of INPUT scaling) to center crop.

Ultimately, it seems it would make much more sense for Resolution to be a property of individual timelines instead of a project as a whole!

Roel Videler

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 am

I second that, same with the color management. A timeline should be able to coexist within the same project with different color management settings. A P3 project often has a 709 variation etc. Being able to set a timeline to Project or Current Timeline settings (kind of like raw has project, make, camera, or clip setting) would be very time saving and save on mess.

For absolute bosspoints it would be great to have a timeline with the same edit but seperate color versions. I'm often fixing 2 or more timelines (sometimes in separate projects) because they have to live separately.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17
HP Z640, Mini Panel, Windows 10 Pro x64, 2x Intel E5-26something, 64GB, Mini Monitor 4K, GTX1080Ti

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Hello, Robert,
consider using the Resolution in the Deliver page.
Your selection will work in conjunction with the output scaling settings in the Project Settings. The Resolution settings chosen in the Deliver page Render settings are the part of the each individual job setting.

i actually dislike that: any output in the delivery page should be self contained, that is, independent from the master setting.

IMHO, i must be able to select all the parameter necessary for the export, regardless what is in the profile in any point in time.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve