starting with resolve, buying new laptop

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Boodts

starting with resolve, buying new laptop

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 10:18 am

hey there, i need to buy a new laptop. old laptop is going slow and i got premiere pro student license wich ended. so i decided to go to resolve and want to buy a new laptop.
I will use only MOV and XAVC fyles and will not edit 4k movies, only HD.

2 interesting laptops.

Asus Zenbook UX501VW-FJ024T-BE Azerty 4K(uhd)
Intel Core i7
16 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
512 GB ssd

Asus ROG GL552VW-CN357T-BE Azerty

15,6 inch
Intel Core i7
24 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
1.256 GB 256gb ssd included.

so my guess, choose between bigger harddisc on zenbook, or more working memory on ROG.

do i make a good choice? any other options?

thank you for your time.

greetings Peter

Richard Cardona

Re: starting with resolve, buying new laptop

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 1:11 am

Get the the asus with thunderbolt 3 with space for 64 gb ram, This way you can add a better gpu later.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 4:29 pm

I would be concerned about a 500 g internal drive. Yes you will be doing most of your work using external drives, but considering your OS and base programs are going to take up what 120 to 150 gigs minimum on your drive, plus cache room, room to unzip files, room to work without an external drive attached...i usually tend to lean towards more system space. You can always add more/new ram to the other model, which is easier than adding a new system drive.

Equally important is the number and types of ports on the laptops. How many USB3's vs USB2's.
PCMCIa port? HDMI? Display port? memory card reader? DVD drive? Thunderbolt?

My laptop can quite easily occupy a dongle, external drive, power for a secondary monitor and a usb mouse connector. Thats all four of my usb ports taken up for one of my scenarios. Plus the Display port to feed into the secondary monitor and thunderbolt to feed to a client monitor if need be, or for a second drive access.

Just make sure you can do everything you need to do when you are totally set up. If you are using fast drives, and friendly source material, either will probably work for you.

Peter Boodts

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 10:33 am

hey there,

tnx for the info.

i decided to buy this one.

ASUS GL752VW-T4079T-BE
17,3" Full HD display, 1TB + 256GB SSD
Intel Core i7-6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
32GB geheugen, Windows 10
1650€
when reading your mail, it looks like it wasnt the best option. i got now only 256g ssd.
i installed DR12,5, reaper, lightroom, some extra drivers and i still got 170gig free on my c drive.

on my d drive i got 1tir.

i still got 1 question.

i put my project on my d drive (wich is not ssd) is that a good idea?
or do i have to put it on the c drive (ssd) to work faster?

for now im impressed with the speed. i can edit and colour correct. still my projects are not longer then 4 min.

thank you for your time, greetings p

Adam Simmons

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 5:41 am

For others reading this (sorry to the OP I was late reading this and that you have already bought a laptop) you may want to hold off as the new range of laptops are due soon that will have the Nvidia GTX 1000 range in them I know our supplier is running down their stock ready for the new range to be released.

You could also have a look at the Clevo range of laptops (rebranded around the world in the USA they are used by Sager) as they can also have a desktop CPU in them. My current one which is a P771DM-G has an Intel 6700K desktop CPU in it and runs at around 3.96GHZ when encoding (sometimes higher depending on ambient temperature and the codec being used).

15" Desktop CPU Model with mobile GPU
http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=811&lang=en
17" Desktop CPU Model with mobile GPU
http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=813&lang=en

17" Desktop CPU Model with Full GTX 980 GPU
http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=900&lang=en

they also do this model which can have 2 Mobile GPU's
http://clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=886&lang=en

These model will take 2 M.2 drives as well as 2 2.5" laptop drives, so at the moment I can have up to 6TB of storage space internally. It also takes up to 64GB of RAM and depending on where in the world you are you can get a 4K screen and has Thunderbolt 3
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Peter Boodts

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 pm

thank you for the advice. i just started DR and with this laptop im very happy. but im new with the program. I hope in a coupl of years im better, and thinking to save up for a decent desktop for colour correction.

greetings p

Return to DaVinci Resolve