Best settings for getting 2K from 4k Raw?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

isabelle barrière

Best settings for getting 2K from 4k Raw?

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Hello!

I've got F55 Raw Sony Rushes in 4096 x 2160 in 25P 16 bits, for a short movie.
Knowing the output will be : 1998 x 1080 DCI Flat 1,85 (many digital zooms were settled in FCPX but we’ll have to adjust a lot of them in a lower percentage), how can we get/preserve the best quality of the pictures, considering these 2 methods :

- is it better to set the project in « scale entire image to fit » with sizing informations embeded in the xml?

- or « center crop with no resizing » and set manually in each clip 0,500 (instead of 1,000) in the input sizing of the the color page (and re-do the digital zooms one by one)?

Will the results be the same in the 2 methods? Or the center crop (less automated), will be better to keep the integrity of the pictures? Is there any other optimized method (in this workflow), btw?

And finally, according to you, in both settings, what should I be aware of in other settings around (in the project settings and later for the 2 exports - DCP plus TV broadcast), not to miss to really get the best quality?
isabelle barriere, csi
davinci resolve certified trainer

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: Best settings for getting 2K from 4k Raw?

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 2:21 am

isabelle barrière wrote:Hello!

I've got F55 Raw Sony Rushes in 4096 x 2160 in 25P 16 bits, for a short movie.
Knowing the output will be : 1998 x 1080 DCI Flat 1,85 (many digital zooms were settled in FCPX but we’ll have to adjust a lot of them in a lower percentage), how can we get/preserve the best quality of the pictures, considering these 2 methods :

- is it better to set the project in « scale entire image to fit » with sizing informations embeded in the xml?

- or « center crop with no resizing » and set manually in each clip 0,500 (instead of 1,000) in the input sizing of the the color page (and re-do the digital zooms one by one)?

Will the results be the same in the 2 methods? Or the center crop (less automated), will be better to keep the integrity of the pictures? Is there any other optimized method (in this workflow), btw?

And finally, according to you, in both settings, what should I be aware of in other settings around (in the project settings and later for the 2 exports - DCP plus TV broadcast), not to miss to really get the best quality?

The quality is the same in both methods. All the sizing at the front is done as a single resize to maximise quality.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

isabelle barrière

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 7:41 am

Great! Thank you, Rohit.
I'm very happy to get an official answer to this as DP's can be very sceptical about it.
isabelle barriere, csi

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 3:37 am

I would check "Force Sizing to Highest Quality" and "Force Debayer to Highest Quality" in the Advanced settings on the Deliver page for luck.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

isabelle barrière

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 8:28 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I would check "Force Sizing to Highest Quality" and "Force Debayer to Highest Quality" in the Advanced settings on the Deliver page for luck.

Thanks Marc! I was wondering about more tricky settings I shouldn't be used to, just to be sure… so, this is reassuring I'm not missing a thing! :D
isabelle barriere, csi

Return to DaVinci Resolve