Best settings for pan and scan of UHD?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Phil Side

Best settings for pan and scan of UHD?

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 6:28 pm

I have a mixture of HD and UHD footage for delivery as HD. I pan and scan the UHD footage using the sizing controls in the Color Page.

I'm not clear about the settings I should use to maintain the maximum quality. What resolution timeline should I use? What about the options in the Image Scaling panel?

The Master Project settings requires you to set a timeline resolution and also a "processing" resolution. What does processing resolution refer to?

Thanks!

James Harkness

Re: Best settings for pan and scan of UHD?

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 pm

bump. I'd like to know the answer for this as well. Is timeline resolution what you can set it to for smoother playback, and then "for processing" being what it will be outputting on the delivery page?

Marc Wielage

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 4:49 am

I would do it all as UHD and then downrez at the end for HD delivery. The usual philosophy seems to be do the entire timeline at the highest resolution you're dealing with, then make sure "Force Debayer Res to Highest Quality" and "Force Sizing to Highest Quality" are checked off.

Kevin Cannon of Prehistoric Digital has some good advice about Input/Output Sizing settings at this link:

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.ph ... apes.5217/

You can always play back at 1/2-res or 1/4-res for monitoring purposes, then switch it back to full for the final render.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James Harkness

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:46 am

thanks Marc appreciate it!

Return to DaVinci Resolve