How to reconstruct subclips when bins have gone missing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Scott Gilbertson

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:14 pm

How to reconstruct subclips when bins have gone missing

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 11:01 pm

As I reported elsewhere (https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44227#p285693), I had all my bins go missing. I'm running version 12.5.0.052 on Windows 10.

I wanted to see if there's some way to recover the timelines and subclips that had been present in the now-missing bins, rather than re-doing the entire project completely from scratch. I'm posting a progress report here, in case somebody either knows more about it than I do or can benefit from what little I do know.

There was a timeline visible when I opened the project, with all missing clips. I was able to sort-of rescue that one by converting to a compound clip, whereupon it's in the project. That way I can get it back later by decomposing the compound clip into a new timeline.

The main things I figured out is that the "SeqContainer" directory contains the deleted timelines, and that those timeline files contain some information about the subclips. In my case that directory is:
Code: Select all
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\scott\Projects\1067 Soft Case and Carry Strap\SeqContainer


The files have gobbledigook names:
Code: Select all
04870484-467d-4622-b86f-b2709710b89a.xml
0eec86e1-009a-4787-8573-ad0402d8bc33.xml
31f9e547-6946-482e-83f6-4613db129f08.xml
3bbee701-1785-4470-b18d-fe498ba40789.xml
79a7430f-e7ae-4b9c-be42-253f664c41f7.xml
7e9c3ce7-a49e-4940-a592-9a770cce8083.xml
ea0e846b-6c3d-4fd6-a96d-4b828938e6e3.xml


Each one contains a similarly unreadable sequence ID:
Code: Select all
<Sequence>f6c2cbde-d572-4ac5-9591-86b5bf77a02c</Sequence>


Over in Project.xml, searching for "Sm2Sequence" finds only the ones that were not obliterated by the bin-dropping bug:
Code: Select all
<Sm2Sequence DbId="2de3e6c1-42aa-4f65-b7ae-2e9689e86c91">


So the spuriously-deleted timelines are still there, just not linked to Project.xml.

Within each "SeqContainer" file, searching for "Subclip</Name>" gets you to the subclip entries (each inside a Sm2TiVideoClip element), and you'll find stuff like:
Code: Select all
<Name>1B01_1C04_DSC3162.MOV Subclip</Name>
<Start>109572</Start>
<Duration>629</Duration>
...
<MediaStartTime>91.76</MediaStartTime>


What I think I know is:
  • The "Name" field tells you which original clip the subclip was excerpted from (just ignore the "Subclip" part.
  • The "Start" time is within the timeline -- no use for re-creating the subclip.
  • The "Duration" field is in source frames. In this case the clip was 25fps, so 629 frames is 25.16 seconds.
  • The "MediaStartTime" field is seconds. In the case above 91.76 seconds is 91 seconds and 19 frames, so 1:31:19 as expressed in the viewer on the Media page.

I believe in that case I can reconstruct the particular subclip thus:
  • Add 1B01_1C04_DSC3162.MOV to the project on the Media page.
  • In that clip, set an "in" point at 91.76 seconds = 1:31:19 in the viewer.
  • Set an "out" point at 91.76 + 25.16 = 117.92 seconds = 1:57:23 in the viewer.
  • Save as a subclip

Repeat for every subclip referenced in the timeline. Then open my compound clip in a new timeline, decompose in place, and if my stars are lined up just right, all the clips should conform properly to the re-created subclips. I plan to write a little script that pulls out all the information and converts the time formats, so I can print out a checklist.

Can anybody confirm, refute or add to that?

In particular, am I missing some obvious-in-retrospect far simpler solution?
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Offline

Scott Gilbertson

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: How to reconstruct subclips when bins have gone missing

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 4:40 pm

In case anybody cares about this very strange, rare edge-case, I can confirm that the method I described basically worked. I wrote a little AWK script to extract the timing information into CSV, printed that out and used it as a checklist to re-create all my subclips.

Then I grabbed a delivered MOV I had previously made from the timeline (before all my bins went missing), and set it as a reference clip for the recovered timeline.

Then I did 54 iterations of:
  • Using the name shown on the timeline clip, select the corresponding subclip in the media list.
  • Right-click / Force Conform With Media Pool Clip
  • Repeat as necessary selecting different subclips, in cases where there was more than one per source clip, to find the correct subclip.
  • Occasionally adjust the timing a little bit, to match the reference video. I don't know why that was needed.

Yes, only 54. It's a short instructional video.

It took four hours or so to recover what was originally something like 10-12 hours of work, which isn't too bad I guess. More importantly, I don't have to get re-approval of the recovered timeline, because it matches the render folks had already reviewed.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dave Shortman, Google [Bot], Jeremy, MSN [Bot] and 40 guests