Media management Transcoding issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tony Hulten

Media management Transcoding issue

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Im trying to transcode a pile of Cinema DNG clips to H.264 for a Client so she can view it. It was shoot in Ursa mini 4.6 film. The problem it looks like when the files are being transcoded they automatically have a rec709 applied to them. There is no option in the media management tab to turn this off that I can see. What am I missing?

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: Media management Transcoding issue

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi, Tony,
you can achieve this by modifying the appropriate settings in the Project Settings▸Camera Raw▸Cinema DNG. These settings will be used for all of the media in the project that is cDNG.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Tony Hulten

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi, Thank you for the swift reply

I changed the settings in the Camera raw tab but it made no difference. It is set to
CinemaDNG
Project
WB: as shot
Color space: Blackmagic Design
Gamma: BMD film

Or did I miss something?

Im on Resolve 12.5
Windows 10

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 8:46 pm

This is strange.
In DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Film is a default debayer behavior for the 4.6 URSA Mini.
I just run some tests to make sure that the workflow, as described by you, works on Windows 10It does when testing here.
Can you check, if the camera raw controls are available for the clips in questions, when you are in the Color tab of the Resolve interface.

Tony Hulten

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Hmm, there is something scetchy with Resolve.. Even tried to format my whole computer and same issues applies.. Opening a new project the defaults are: Rec 709 Gamma 2.4 on all three and the footage looks flat (the way it was shot) If I change the input color space to Rec 709 Gamma 2.2 it makes a huge adjustment to the picture. It then doesnt matter if I change back the input Color space to Gamma 2.4, nothing happends.

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:59 pm

At this point we need to look at your project file. I am suspecting that we are working in a different color management environment (I performed my testing in a classic YRGB, you might be using ACES or YRGB Color Managed)

Return to DaVinci Resolve