Roundtripping Media Composer 5.5.3 – DaVinci Resolve 8.X

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Martin Nelson

Roundtripping Media Composer 5.5.3 – DaVinci Resolve 8.X

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I’ve read the manuals, I’ve googled, I’ve tried variations and I cannot get this to work.

First the short version: I’ve exported an AAF of my DNxHD 175 (HD1080p), 23.976 sequence, my colorist successfully imports it, does a couple of test tweaks and exports, I import the revised AAF and get an error message declaring, “Encountered exception ‘Incompatible File Format.’ Do you want to continue the import? (If you do continue, remember to check the console for import errors.).” I continue and get an entirely offline sequence. Media Tool displays the DaVinci corrected clips, but with names that have no relation to offline new.01 clips in the bin. Relinking gets me nowhere.

How do I link these clips or how do I import in a way that they will come in linked?

Now, in detail:

1. The project was created and completed (up to color correction, which is where we now stand) in MC 5.5.3 on OS X.6.8. Footage was shot on Canon 5D and 7D.

2. I imported AMA files, transcoded to DNxHD 115 and cut the show.

3. I relinked the final show to the AMA clips and then transcoded to DNxHD 175.

4. I exported a video-only AAF of forty-six seconds of this 175 sequence. I included two video channels and an assortment of the effects I’ve used to see what would and would not work. Export Settings: Include All Video/Data Tracks in Sequence, AAF Edit Protocol, Consolidate Media, Media Destination to Folder.

5. Colorist successfully imported the AAF, made a few corrections for test purposes and followed what we both believe to be the correct protocol for roundtripping and sent it back to me.

6. I copied the .mxf files into the appropriate media folder (Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1) and deleted the .msm files.

7. I went back to the project, opened a new bin and imported the revised AAF file.

8. I get the error message listed above. I tell it to proceed.

9. Bin fills with offline sequence, a collection of corresponding offline new.01 clips and online copies of some of the original master and subclips that went to build the original sequence.

10. Per the error message I check the console for import error messages. There are three. The first is “Can't make a track effect. Importing without effect,” the second one references the one clip on V2, which has an AniMatte effect. It reads, “Minor Change: Error with media reference (clip will be offline).” And the third references the unused camera in a group clip, in other words, a clip that doesn’t actually appear in the sequence. The message reads, “Minor Change: Error with media reference (clip will be offline).” There are no messages to indicate it did not happily import the rest of the media.

11. Media Tool does show new clips that are the ‘corrected’ footage, but they have unfamiliar names, not corresponding to anything I can detect and they do not appear in the import bin. These clips are the same resolution and frame rate as my original sequence.

12. I think, “What the heck, I’ve got the sequence, I’ve got the media; let’s just relink.”

13. I attempt to relink using “Selected items in ALL open bins,” with the new media all in its own bin and selected. I get bupkis. “No clips were relinked.”

I realize I didn’t provide a lot of information in number 5 above, but I know the colorist would be happy to answer whatever questions you might have. And I, of course, will gladly, gladly provide any additional information. I’m going to try an AAF export of a single-track effectless sequence and also try an export of a sequence built from the AMA relink. But I’d really like this to work directly from picture lock. Anyone still with me and do you have any idea what we did wrong?

Martin
Martin

MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core
OS10.13.6
Samsung 850 EVO system drive
32 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Intensity Pro 4K 10.11.4
Media Composer v2018.11.0
Premiere 2019 v13.0.2
Media Encoder v13.0.2.39
Character Animator v2.0.1
Photoshop 2019 v13.0.2

Andrew Marton

Re: Roundtripping Media Composer 5.5.3 – DaVinci Resolve 8.X

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi,

As far as i know there are some major issues, how davinci render out DnxHD mxf files.
Try to use this workflow, (delivering single mxf file). Here are also not all perfect, but if you read this thread carefully, it will works.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1777&p=13028&hilit=Avid+mxf#p13028

God luck!
Supermicro X9DRG-QF, CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5 2620 @ 2.00GHz, 32,0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI, :1x NVIDIA Quadro 4000
I/O: DECKLINK HD EXTREME 3D+

Return to DaVinci Resolve