Need to change to 29.97 drop frame

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dave Brier

Need to change to 29.97 drop frame

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 9:00 pm

So I know that you need to settle on the framerate before you add media into the media pool, but what if you simply want to change from non-drop frame to drop frame timecode for all of your timelines? Right now I have two rough cuts completed in 29.97 non-drop, but I need to change over to drop frame 29.97. Here's what I have tried:
- Select "use drop frame timecode" in the master project setting (setting is greyed-out, so no luck there)
- Create new 29.97 drop frame project, and copy and paste timelines to new project (ERROR: Current project frame rate does not match that of copied timelines from the media pool.)
- Copy contents of the timeline from non-drop project into a new timeline in the drop frame project (ERROR: Current project frame rate does not match that of copied items from the timeline.)
- Export XML, and import into new 29.97 drop frame project (same error)

Any other workarounds for this?
Dave Brier | Post-Op Media
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs
64 GBs of RAM
DaVinci Resolve 12.5

Willian Aleman

Re: Need to change to 29.97 drop frame

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 12:02 am

Dave Brier wrote:So I know that you need to settle on the framerate before you add media into the media pool, but what if you simply want to change from non-drop frame to drop frame timecode for all of your timelines? Right now I have two rough cuts completed in 29.97 non-drop, but I need to change over to drop frame 29.97. Here's what I have tried:
- Select "use drop frame timecode" in the master project setting (setting is greyed-out, so no luck there)
- Create new 29.97 drop frame project, and copy and paste timelines to new project (ERROR: Current project frame rate does not match that of copied timelines from the media pool.)
- Copy contents of the timeline from non-drop project into a new timeline in the drop frame project (ERROR: Current project frame rate does not match that of copied items from the timeline.)
- Export XML, and import into new 29.97 drop frame project (same error)

Any other workarounds for this?

DR 12.5 has a new feature that allows to change this in the Delivery page. If you are running previous version of DR 12.5, this it's not possible without going to some workaround mentioned here in another similar thread.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Dave Brier

Re: Need to change to 29.97 drop frame

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 12:27 am

Thanks. I did check the deliver page but did not see a drop frame option. I am in the latest version of 12.5. I will poke around again tomorrow.
Dave Brier | Post-Op Media
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs
64 GBs of RAM
DaVinci Resolve 12.5

Return to DaVinci Resolve