Force Resolve to output files starting at 00:00:00:00?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ben Johnston

Force Resolve to output files starting at 00:00:00:00?

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Does anyone know how to force Resolve to deliver files with 'reset' timecode? I assumed the 'Start timeline timecode at...' or 'Each clip starts at from...' settings would help, but they make no difference.

I have 50+ videos in a few different timelines and when I output them, they all keep their timecode from the timeline. This is causing havoc with subtitling files.

Do I really have to drag each video to the start of a timeline...? Please, god, no...

Ideally, Apple Compressor would be able to do this, but apparently not.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Force Resolve to output files starting at 00:00:00:00?

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 9:04 pm

If you use Render Individual Clips than you can't overwrite TC.
If you use Render Single Clip than you have option to force start TC (in file settings).

I have Mac tool which can overwrite start TC (including batch mode). Changes are instant as it operates on QT structure (hex level). PM me if you are interested. It can also add REEL name.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 am

I've sent you message, but it's hold in my Outbox for whatever reason.

Ben Johnston

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 6:38 pm

Many thanks to Andrew for his really useful tool. Well worth contacting him and buying.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 2:36 am

The delivery option to render starting at frame x is designed for VFX workflows where the VFX guy would like to ignore the TC but just have each clip start at frame 1.

The timecode is recorded as normal so the VFX can be rendered by the artist with the matching TC to make round trip back into the timeline easy.

We dont currently have a process to render each clip individually with zero timecode, and if we did its likely you would need each in separate folder so as to not overwrite.. think DPX for example where the file name is the TC.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve